Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great Little SUV
By Buckey

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

WE use this for long trips some times in snow country. Its comfortable to drive and has a positive feel on the road. Lots of places to store gear etc. I wish the rear seat would lay flat when down and a little chrome on the grillwork would perk it up. I can't believe I'm driving a 4 cyl. (except at the gas pump) its great. I use it for hunting and pull a loaded trailer with ATV and lots of gear and hardly know its there. The getting in and out height is just right (I'm no spring chicken} the rear loading height is great too. Ride and handling is good also.

stable all wheel drive, getting in & out height, good gas mileage, comfortable ride.

not much, a flat rear seat down loading area would be nice I guess.

Almost there....
By Kirk831

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Easy to drive, very reliable, quiet and comfortable. Base model was reasonable in price, but those options add up fast ! Rear seat is only for kids, don't believe 2 adults can occupy.

Smooth suspension. Quick acceleration (when transmission makes it into proper gear).

Transmission latency is almost dangerous at times if you need quick acceleration to cut across a multi- lane road. Tranny also constantly hunts at low speeds (~20-30mph). OEM tires lasted 27k miles. When rolled down, rear window noise is deafening. Poor gas mileage around town (19-20).

Great Highlander
By Joseph George

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The Highlander has never been returned for warranty work or factory defects, except for 2 minor recalls. My only concern is the ride is becoming a bit harsh at 34K miles

Size and easy to park!

none

Good, but rattles a lot...
By A Kumar

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Highlander thinking that Toyota is the venerable brand. The vehicle had good build quality, the panels were very closely aligned with no obvious spacing, however, the big issue was that within 20,000 miles, I heard lots of rattles. Those rattles were coming from all over the vehicle. I felt that paying so much for Toyota made me feel like driving in a tin box, everything in the vehicle looked flimsy and about to break.

Dependable car
By rodawgs

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I am extremely glad I got this car. It was a little more than what I wanted to spend, but all in all, a good quality vehicle.

Has plenty of get up and go and the 3rd row is great.

The interior, the interior, the interior. It lacks a lot in that area. The seats are hard and not comfortable. all the dash and features are plastics.