Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

You can depend on this one.
By ED

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I always buy Toyota because of the reliability and quality. This is no exception. Yes the ride is a little uncomfortable, and the tranny does feel awkward in certain situations, but so far this car has not given me any problems not one, it had a minor recall issue but Toyota took care of it at no charge; some sensor needed to be replaced. I would recommend this SUV to anyone who needs security to move around on a day to day basis.

Favorite Features

Quality and reliability, gas mileage, peace of mind and simple.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could use some help and more comfortable seats.

Reliable SUV
By Emile Mailloux

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a highlander for safety features and AWD to drive with the grandkids. Met all expectations and more. In over 3 years had no problems.

Favorite Features

Tire monitoring system (warn me of low tire while driving at high speed). Comfortable driver seat for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

Better looking outside and grille.

2004 Toyota Highlander
By Desarae

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! I keep up with the recommended maintenance and have NEVER had a problem. The oxygen sensor had to be replaced but that was covered under the warranty. At 73,000 miles, I am still running the original tires (with every other oil change rotation). Sometimes after a check-up, the tire pressure sensor light comes on (on the dashboard) and has to be reset. This usually only happens when the tires are rotated. My Highlander is a Katrina survivor. It survived 4 feet of water (NONE in the engine or interior) and a 30 foot pine tree ($8,000 in damage). We have been considering adding a Hybrid to the family.

Favorite Features

No blind spots! Cupholders EVERYWHERE! Cargo space!! Highlanders (Toyotas, in general) hold their value (even with miles galore)! I am a BIG girl and fit comfortably behind the wheel and buckle in with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tire pressure sensor light! It's way too sensitive. And the ivory interior... IVORY?!? Don't get in this baby sweaty and dirty! Move the extra cigarette lighter from the floorboard (in the umbrella compartment) up onto the console near the other one. Rear wiper inserts are $20!!

Cincinnati
By kw

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Confortable for short and tall.

Favorite Features

3rd row seat is the best option for families.

Suggested Improvements

Sometimes ignition key needs a rap to turn on.

Great Little SUV
By Buckey

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

WE use this for long trips some times in snow country. Its comfortable to drive and has a positive feel on the road. Lots of places to store gear etc. I wish the rear seat would lay flat when down and a little chrome on the grillwork would perk it up. I can't believe I'm driving a 4 cyl. (except at the gas pump) its great. I use it for hunting and pull a loaded trailer with ATV and lots of gear and hardly know its there. The getting in and out height is just right (I'm no spring chicken} the rear loading height is great too. Ride and handling is good also.

Favorite Features

stable all wheel drive, getting in & out height, good gas mileage, comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

not much, a flat rear seat down loading area would be nice I guess.