2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
A Good Choice
By Anthony on 02/22/05 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I spent 30 years driving domestic cars and recently found myself disappointed with Chrysler. I was in the market for a car-based SUV and chose the Highlander since I know many happy Toyota owners. Can honestly say I have never owned a new vehicle that has been this good from day one. No warranty items in first six months of ownership. The fit and finish is world class and the interior materials are of high quality. I am satisfied thus far with both the engine performance and fuel economy. I do not drive the V6 aggressively and average just over 20 mpg. The Highlander has met my expectations. Am glad I paid a bit more for the Toyota and did not buy a lesser quality product based on incentives

Not What I Expected
By KndOne on 02/03/05 00:48 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Although the Highlander overall is adequate, it's shortfalls are obvious. The gas mileage is terrible, I've yet to get more than 16 mpg even on the fwy. If you accelerate at the wrong time the trans just winds out while you go nowhere. The seats are the most comfy I found in this genre of car, and the car has alot of pep to it.

A good SUV with a few flaws
By Scatterax on 01/21/05 23:50 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had it for 6 months. Previous cars include Accord, Nissan Quest. Good power, comfortable and solid. Handles nicely. Quiet when windows are closed. Performs well in snow/ice. I truly enjoy driving it. Music system is excellent, NAV is very confusing and appears less capable than the Honda Pilot's. Susceptible to easy scratching inside and out. Wind noise is bad, but the low frequency reverberations when the back windows are open or sometimes when the moonroof is open by itself produce intolerable discomfort. A tolerable ride with moonroof or windows open without too much noise requires continuous adjustment of the windows depending on the speed.

Limited Version
By cjwiii08 on 01/11/05 12:37 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

A very comfortable riding vehicle. To me, the limited package is worth the extra coin. Smooth power on demand. The extra gear in the tranny is a driver's delight. My MPG is close to 20. Not great but adequate. No gripes here!

Pretty Nice Vehicle
By Mark on 01/05/05 15:41 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had A 02 Nissan truck which rattled and the dealer couldn't find the problem so sold it and bought a Highlander. Nice ride and pretty comfortable. Had my Highlander for a year now. The Transmission gets twitchy once and a while. Had a few rattles but the dealer has been great helping me resolve them. The factory Toyo tires wore out quick. Put Michilen on, they ride nicer and quieter for $500. Overall though a pretty nice vehicle.

Beware of the tires
By Craig on 01/04/05 11:12 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Having never owned a Toyota we were expecting quality and refinement and the Highlander delivers. It replaced a 97 Volvo wagon and there is no comparision.

review rating
By Alder on 01/03/05 22:27 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

air leaks around window switches and map pockets, moon roof sw doesn't seem to function as discribed in owners manual. Trouble finding closed position. Steering tilt adjustment could be lower by 1 inch for long legs. Heater coil could be larger.

Toyota Highlander -
By G.HaBER on 12/20/04 18:14 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It is dependable, roomy, has great seats that are wide especially if you had a complete hip replacement. Has great vision. Smooth riding like a luxury car instead of an SUV. Great in rain and wet roads. Handles with ease on the open road or on country area streets.

disappointed
By gcoffey on 12/03/04 10:01 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is our fourth Toyota. We are pleased overall with the Highlander. However, we are having problems with the alignment. Currently, have 23,000 miles. The 6yr/100,000 mile tires are experiencing unusual wear due to back wheel mis-alignment. These tires require rotation and balancing ever 6000 miles(our dealer charges $49.50). To this point the dealer is not standing behind the warranty for alignment.

First Toyota SUV
By SalemHokie on 11/06/04 00:58 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased our Highlander about a month ago. So far, we have no complaints at all. We both really enjoy driving the Highlander. My wife likes the fact that it doesn't feel like she is driving some big vehicle, like a lot of the other midsize SUV's we test drove. One thing I would definetly suggest, is to get some quotes from dealerships online. I got a quote from the dealership for the Highlander we purchased, and the salesman at the dealership was asking about $2500.00 more than what I was quoted online. We had fun with him for a while, till we brought out the quote we had received online. Doing your research and getting some quotes definetly helps.