2004 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
The best car I have owned!
By Chrissie on 06/30/05 10:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for about 18 months and I can honestly say that it is the best car I have owned. It drives like no other SUV, midsize or larger size, that I test drove, and I test drove many. It handles beautifully on the highway and on local streets. The interior features are wonderful and not too big and bulky which I like. It is very easy for a small woman to drive and park! Overall I think it is a great SUV for someone who wants the luxury of a car but also wants to be able to get around any weather condition. BTW, it is made entirely in Japan! I love it, and will buy another in 16 years when the pain job gets bad or I have 250,000 miles!

Good car, But...
By jw on 06/16/05 15:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The engine is sluggish on take off and the transmission (5 sp auto) seems to slip when it shifts the engine whines on take off, the dealer says this is normal. Some times shifting takes up to 3 sec. to finish the shift. Get the rear air vents it gets a little warm in the summertime. Not as quiet as I thought it should be. The door panels has cloth on them, if you use the window for an arm rest it does get dirty very quickly.

3 Row Seat
By Johnson on 06/06/05 14:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Shifting from low speed to high speed. Trans needs to be changed. Slow from down to up shifting if you need the power fast forget it. Third row seating ok for kids not adults. To small on the seating. Dealer installed tires need to be better. Good ride, but you will replace them fast

04 Toyota Highlander - Great Vehicle
By Mrs. R. Lewis on 05/04/05 15:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle's overall performance is great. Handles well in snow/ice. The only thing I can't get seem to get over is the fact that I have to hear this short clicking sound everytime I first start the vehicle, put in drive and accelerate. I took my vehicle in twice when I first noticed this clicking and was told it's normal... that's the ABS actuator turning on. Other than that, I feel I made a good investment in this vehicle... spent a little more than I anticipated but it's worth it. I could have paid less and got more incentives for another vehicle but I would have gotten less durability and less quality.

Highlander Limited 4WD
By Sam on 04/18/05 11:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle. Fuel efficiency with good power performance and fun features made this a good choice for me. I needed the room and convenience of an SUV with 3rd row without the need to tow. I travel in field sales so comfort was essential but I also wanted some extras that were available on the Toyota at and affordable purchase & operating price. The navigation system is cool but complicated at times and is tied in to the audio & AC making them the same. The accelerator has a "hair trigger" and takes some getting use to you will experience lunges at low speed until then. The retractable trunk cover was a bad after thought. Certainly not enough to give bad marks to the Highlander.

Great SUV
By bruce on 04/11/05 14:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After looking at many cute utes and mid-size SUV's, my wife and I settled for the Highlander. After driving a 1992 Subaru Legacy we feel like we are driving a great handling and powerful SUV. I am very pleased with the overall appearance and driveablility. The only drawback is a slight hesitation when accelerating to merge into traffic. I found if I don't punch down on the accelerator, but give a more gradual throttle, the hesitation is minimal. Even though we bought this Highlander used, it comes highly recommended. Any vehicle that can stand the heavy usage that comes with a daily rental and still feel very solid is well designed and solidly put together.

love my truck
By jeanbean on 04/02/05 17:11 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for trucks, I originally was going to buy a Lexus, I drove both and I decided to look at a Toyota, I bought the Sequoia, had it for a year and I loved it, it but it was too big like a bus. I tried the Highlander and that was it. I love the drive it's so comfortable, drives like a Lexus, half the price, it is wonderful in the snow, rain and sleet, kids love the dvd player and I love the handling. It handles like a car; I'm short so it is wonderful. I'll never drive anything but a Toyota Highlander, I highly recommend it.

The best Car I ever owned
By Jeannie Sweeney on 03/22/05 18:44 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Formerly on LI I moved to upstate NY just west of Syracuse, snow country. last winter we had 182 in. The Highlander was a dream. I do lots of highway driving. I drove last week from LI to Boston then onto Syracuse almost 11 hrs in the car, No problem

Great First SUV
By Great First SUV on 03/14/05 14:52 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

If your looking for your first SUV, this is your car. The V6 AWD has a very smooth ride. When you first get in the car and look around you will find that their are no blind spots! Which is a plus for a SUV. The standard features are ample, and you really feel like you are getting the most for what you paid for. The third row seat is a nice feature. The only problem I see with that is the very limited leg room and the inability to easily get in and out. All in all, this is a great vehical. Have no regrets and I'm sure you won't either.

Pleased so far
By Owner in Austin on 02/27/05 09:58 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our 04 Highlander new in Nov 04 after extensive research and dealing. 5000 miles later we're pleased with our decision. In addition to day to day commuting we have used it for several long trips, including one with the vehicle packed completely full of furniture. It is comfortable and stable to drive, and has performed competently under a wide range of driving and load conditions. Very versatile and capable.