Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Love It!
By RLH

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Highlander I have owned and my wife and I love It! We owned our first one in 2003 and it was great. Third row seating and a few other options were the reason we traded a year later. For those of you that are annoyed with the tire pressure light, keep your tires inflated above 29 psi and this should solve your problem. I've towed a 24 foot boat to the beach and the handling was solid and precise. The 4 wheel disc brakes were amazing in stopping the 3000lbs. behind me. As with any vehicle you must have the proper maintenance performed at recommended intervals and don't wait until a problem arises then blame it on the vehicle. I also own a Toyota Tacoma pick-up for work!

JBL sound system is GREAT!!!!! Heated Leather Seats, Stability Control System, Ride and Handling. Came standard with Michelin Tires!

Get rid of the sun-roof! It's a waste of money and it's about a $1000 option on the Limited Package which is usually installed on most in stock models.

Happy with a few issues
By Bob E

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

85k miles and going very strong. Love how easy it is to park and handle. Gets 23 mpg on highway - not bad. No serious issues. This is my 5th straight Toyota (Camry, Avalon, Highlander) Issues include: original tires lasted 28k miles; transmission slow to shift/hesitates a second or so at times which is annoying; some hunting in 3rd gear at lower (30-40 mph) speeds so I take it out of OD when in town; Loud thumping when only one rear window is down and driving at highway speeds - due to air turbulence - so open two windows at a time - one on each side.

ease of parking (very good visibility behind wheel)

Transmission - hesitates between shift points; hesitates when throttle is stepped on... annoying. I'm used to perfect transmissions in past Toyotas.

The Best
By Zvlan

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many SUVs or what they used to call 4 wheel drives from 1960 Jeeps to all types of Toyotas. This Highlander is by far the best I ever owned. I was going to buy a new one but I'm afraid with the new look for the Highlander this new one would never live up to its predecessor. I am probably wrong and I do plan to buy when my payments end.

Comfort, drive, reliable and great for room. My dog loves the rear seat and the open window.

Because of my dog the rear seat is ripped. Maybe in the new models they have changed the seat materials.

Amazing gas mileage for suv
By 04Hldrluvit

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

When I first picked this up, I knew I would be paying a lot for gas, but little did I know how great this thing was on the highway, where 95%of my driving is. With the scan gauge tool, I was getting 28 mpg at 63 mph cruise. Interior is very car like and comfortable, buttons are all huge and simple. The awd is not even noticeable. Standard stability and traction control and abs is just why Toyota is dominating domestics.

V6 gas mileage for suv 28 mpg highway, 19 city. My old 3.7l Jeep couldn't even get 19 highway. Suspension is car like.

I would say gas mileage but since Toyota does have a hybrid version, u cant complain. Better stock tires, the oem are garbage and noisy, my Michelin destiny are amazing.

2004 Highlander
By Billy

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned Porsches, Alfas, and about 35 American vehicles. The Highlander with stability control is the best overall vehicle I have owned and driven. A quality vehicle from the paint job to the excellent performing V-6 and automatic transmission.

Stability control. AWD. AT. Gas mileage.

None