2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Almost there....
By Kirk831 on 09/05/06 10:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Easy to drive, very reliable, quiet and comfortable. Base model was reasonable in price, but those options add up fast ! Rear seat is only for kids, don't believe 2 adults can occupy.

Great Highlander
By Joseph George on 08/25/06 13:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The Highlander has never been returned for warranty work or factory defects, except for 2 minor recalls. My only concern is the ride is becoming a bit harsh at 34K miles

Good, but rattles a lot...
By A Kumar on 08/12/06 21:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Highlander thinking that Toyota is the venerable brand. The vehicle had good build quality, the panels were very closely aligned with no obvious spacing, however, the big issue was that within 20,000 miles, I heard lots of rattles. Those rattles were coming from all over the vehicle. I felt that paying so much for Toyota made me feel like driving in a tin box, everything in the vehicle looked flimsy and about to break.

Dependable car
By rodawgs on 06/07/06 09:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I am extremely glad I got this car. It was a little more than what I wanted to spend, but all in all, a good quality vehicle.

Can't go wrong
By Ron on 03/06/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This truck if you want to call it that - it is more like a car and is fantastic. The 4 cyl is plenty peppy and gives good gas mileage. The back seats also recline which is comfortable for the passengers. The build quality is very good and attention is paid to detail. It came standard with stability control and abs brakes and traction control so even without 4wd it is good in the snow. I don't regret buying it for one minute.

An SUV I can live with
By ChuckHawley on 01/22/06 12:44 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Please understand that I really hate SUVs, but my family needed a car that could hold 6-7. I have always thought that the Highlander was the best looking small SUV, but I didn't realize that it had a third seat that would allow it to hold our family. We sold our Eurovan and bought a dealer demo, and I think it's the best car I have ever owned. At 25K miles, it's tight, quiet, comfortable, and everything that I could ask for in a family car. We happened to buy the loaded model, although I would have been happy with any combination as long as it had the third row. We have had it off-road once in Tahoe, and it handled a very rutted, rocky climb with ease. Highly recommended.

Simply The Best
By Peggy on 01/22/06 10:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I did extensive research before buying my first SUV, and have not been disappointed in my selection. My Highlander has been extremely reliable, not one problem in almost 2 years and 42,000 miles. It's comfortable, roomy, drives like a car, and gets good gas mileage. I was worried about having sufficient power with the 4-cylinder engine, but it definitely delivers the power when needed. I can't imagine owning any other car - except maybe a Highlander Hybrid. I would recommend this SUV to anyone who is looking for the best value & ride for their money.

Love this SUV! No Regrets!
By Mwilson on 08/21/05 12:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I love this SUV! I really did my research when deciding on what to buy. Pricing and reliabilty were big factors in my decision making. I was torn between the Honda Pilot or the Highlander, I'm glad I chose the Highlander. I've owned it for almost two years, and the only thing I would change is the rear window noise, EXTREMELY disturbing. I live in Chicago, and trust me winter driving can be a challenge, but this vehicle handled are winter storms w/no problems. You won't regret it.

Review of 04 Highander V6 LTD
By Bill Burleson on 08/05/05 12:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle for fairly short times, gets uncomfortable on long (4 hrs or more) trips. I am 72 years old and this may not be a problem for a younger driver. Easy to park and maneuver, good visibility for driver.

It's okay
By sam on 07/18/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It's been an ok ride. Vehicle looks good but I have been very disappointed in the gas mileage. I'm not even getting 20 on the highway. It gets hard to drive on a long trip (which I do a lot of) uncomfortable seats (you'll feel everything and the passenger seat does not adjust, just goes back). I get knocked around by passing trucks because it's so light. You really have to hold on tight on the highway and that makes for a weary ride!The wind noise is also more evident on the highway as well. The transmission is sluggish and seems to hesitate now at 30,000 miles.