Used 2004 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Excellent Buy
By Big E

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my highlander for one month now. I am well pleased with it. The tire monitoring system is excellent it warns me if the tires are low while driving @ high speed. I recommend the purchase of this car.

Favorite Features

The sound system is excellent. No blind spot. Drives like a car. Seats are comfortable. Driver side seat is all automatically control.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more leg room in the front...less in the back. Darker interior. Better gas mileage.

Love It!
By RLH

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Highlander I have owned and my wife and I love It! We owned our first one in 2003 and it was great. Third row seating and a few other options were the reason we traded a year later. For those of you that are annoyed with the tire pressure light, keep your tires inflated above 29 psi and this should solve your problem. I've towed a 24 foot boat to the beach and the handling was solid and precise. The 4 wheel disc brakes were amazing in stopping the 3000lbs. behind me. As with any vehicle you must have the proper maintenance performed at recommended intervals and don't wait until a problem arises then blame it on the vehicle. I also own a Toyota Tacoma pick-up for work!

Favorite Features

JBL sound system is GREAT!!!!! Heated Leather Seats, Stability Control System, Ride and Handling. Came standard with Michelin Tires!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the sun-roof! It's a waste of money and it's about a $1000 option on the Limited Package which is usually installed on most in stock models.

Happy with a few issues
By Bob E

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

85k miles and going very strong. Love how easy it is to park and handle. Gets 23 mpg on highway - not bad. No serious issues. This is my 5th straight Toyota (Camry, Avalon, Highlander) Issues include: original tires lasted 28k miles; transmission slow to shift/hesitates a second or so at times which is annoying; some hunting in 3rd gear at lower (30-40 mph) speeds so I take it out of OD when in town; Loud thumping when only one rear window is down and driving at highway speeds - due to air turbulence - so open two windows at a time - one on each side.

Favorite Features

ease of parking (very good visibility behind wheel)

Suggested Improvements

Transmission - hesitates between shift points; hesitates when throttle is stepped on... annoying. I'm used to perfect transmissions in past Toyotas.

The Best
By Zvlan

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many SUVs or what they used to call 4 wheel drives from 1960 Jeeps to all types of Toyotas. This Highlander is by far the best I ever owned. I was going to buy a new one but I'm afraid with the new look for the Highlander this new one would never live up to its predecessor. I am probably wrong and I do plan to buy when my payments end.

Favorite Features

Comfort, drive, reliable and great for room. My dog loves the rear seat and the open window.

Suggested Improvements

Because of my dog the rear seat is ripped. Maybe in the new models they have changed the seat materials.

Amazing gas mileage for suv
By 04Hldrluvit

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

When I first picked this up, I knew I would be paying a lot for gas, but little did I know how great this thing was on the highway, where 95%of my driving is. With the scan gauge tool, I was getting 28 mpg at 63 mph cruise. Interior is very car like and comfortable, buttons are all huge and simple. The awd is not even noticeable. Standard stability and traction control and abs is just why Toyota is dominating domestics.

Favorite Features

V6 gas mileage for suv 28 mpg highway, 19 city. My old 3.7l Jeep couldn't even get 19 highway. Suspension is car like.

Suggested Improvements

I would say gas mileage but since Toyota does have a hybrid version, u cant complain. Better stock tires, the oem are garbage and noisy, my Michelin destiny are amazing.