Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Solid As A Rock
By Steve

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our Highlander since it was new and run up 70k on it. So far so good. No major problems. I have only changed the oil and tires. We do have an AC problem with it getting warm as you turn corners or hit a bump. Its a common problem and you need to pull out the control panel and soder the wires back on. I will get around to it some time. The gas mileage is fine for a midsize SUV, what do people expect when the buy the car? Highway driving will get you maybe 22 if you drive 65 otherwise its 19-20 mpg. Combined we average about 17. The Highlander suffers from some wind and road noise and the back seat could use a little more leg room. I have found it to be a very capable car.

Reliability, handling in snow, ride quality, materials are good quality

Limit wind noise, less intrusive wheel wells in the cargo area.

A Diamond in the Rough
By JET

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I've ever owned. This car is not indicative of the current problems that Toyota is having. A totally reliable automobile that offers everything you need in an SUV. I never had to take this car in for any major problems, and you can even hear the engine at idle.

Built to Last
By SJ Dave

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I had bought the Highlander brand new for my wife back in 2004. It is one of the best of all the vehicles we had ever owned. Back then we paid for an extra extended 7 yr. warranty which paid for it self in two visits. Two yrs. ago the stereo system stopped working since it was covered, they repl. the whole unit for free. Then in this past Dec. we took it in for service, they noticed it leaking around the water pump, it was covered so it was repl. for free. Other than that we only have done regular service, brakes & the tires were repl. I've driven it to Virginia from NJ and it's still a pleasure to drive. We still get great gas mileage from this SUV.

The V6 gives you good power & yet it is great on gas. Great to drive around for during errands, very comfortable ride.

I wished that they could have had the rear window to come down.

Disappointing unreliability
By Phoebe

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

While the body is solid on the 2004 Highlander, the trim is shoddy. Wipers have scored both front and back windows; seat belt retractors leave belts dangling to get caught in doors; visors are floppy; broken filter rack fell out from under the dash. Yaw sensor went out as soon as the warranty did. Acceleration from a stop is sluggish; mileage is only average. Because it is built on a Tacoma platform, it handles like a truck.

Brakes take hold immediately, reminding me of old style power assist brakes. Vehicle handles well with all season tires on snow and ice. There is plenty of room fro two dogs and their equipment.

Make the vehicle handle like a car rather than a truck. Improve details so they don't irritate one to death every time they need fixing. Improve acceleration on automatic so it responds immediately instead of with delay in emergency situations.

Overall Great With a Few Questions Marks
By Trying to Decide

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased in 2007 with under 30,000 mi. Now at 95,000 mi curious if it'll start needing repairs. Until now, virtually maintenance free. Snatches a little at take off or low speeds; hope no transmission issue. Love the height and lumbar support for my aching back. It's really easy to park and handling is good. Miss the handling of my sporty Acura coupe, but love the fact I can make the long trips without constant stops to stretch my back. Sometimes wish I had AWD, but we get snow once or twice a year, so I just park up the hill on level ground. Spoiled with the cargo space-I don't want a car! Great vehicle overall, but a little overpriced purchased new. Happy I made this purchase.

parking ease, interior space

transmission - it shouldn't "snatch" or have to figure out what to do next. tire pressure gauge that identifies trouble tire