Used 2004 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

A Great Driving Experience
By go blue

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my Highlander for a few months, however, from the time I took it for a test drive I fell in love with its handling ability and quiet ride. It has been through a New England winter and the automatic 4 wheel drive was a blessing. Also, the interior is user friendly and very comfortable to drive. If you are looking at SUVs this is definitly a must buy.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats with the heating element for the front seats. The cargo room is terr ific. The front console design is user friendly and well designed. In other words I love it!

Suggested Improvements

The front seat cup holders are not great, the cover opens towards the driver which makes it difficult for the driver to use.

Great all around car
By thighlander

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a few days ago. Drivability is great. Rides better than my Lexus IS300. 4cyl has good pick-up and smooth. Engine noise is moderate and all amenities for around $25,000. Very reasonable and has Toyota reliability. I like this car.

Favorite Features

Drivability and 4wd.

Suggested Improvements

6 disc in dash changer standard, fog lights standard, possibly a 5 spd auto

Highlander Limited - 2004
By Chuck in Illinois

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We worked with a dealer located 90 miles from our house. After 8 days of emailing back and forth, we agreed upon a price that was $500 below Edmunds TMV. This dealer understood the importance of customer service and honesty. Side curtain airbags, 6CD changer, Leather, Heated seats 3.3L V6...wow. We were looking at the Pilot and the Highlander in the home stretch. The reach distance for the driver to the radio/climate controls was more comfortable in the Highlander. The front seats are more comfortable than the Pilot's.

Favorite Features

The back seat (not third row) is comfortable/roomy. The fit/finish top quality. The JBL sound is wonderful. Daytime running lights are bright. Automatic headlights are convenient. The radio antenna in the glass saves a broken mast antenna. Rear spolier keeps the back window clean.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs a darker interior. A black/dark grey would be nice. Also, Toyota should incl trailer hitch in Tow Pkg. The moonroof does not indicate when down/locked. Switch toggles between open/tilt mode. Closed is in the middle. Toyota should offer satellite radio option.

I always bought AMERICAN vehicles
By JOHN C HENE

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

In my previous buying habits I only purchased American made vehicles out of loyalty. I wanted an SUV that got good gas milage, was comfortable to drive and was easier for my 82 y/o mother to get in and out of. No American vehicle matched those requirements, but all Japanese models did. I just picked the SUV I prefered and will never go back to just buying by loyaty again.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, ease of controls, plenty of room amd storage capacity.

Highlander Comments
By bdamia

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Love the Highlander.Handles great,big enough and typical Toyota quality. The shortcomings are few....turning radius could be better,driver window has a tendency to go all the way down when lowering (needs to be less sensitive) and shifting seems abrupt in city driving with medium to heavy traffic ,when stopping and going is increased. Overall a very good vehicle.......

Favorite Features

Leather seating and interior

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius