Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

the best
By jjjzzz

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car, after a lot of shopping between this car and the buick rendezvus and the acura mdx i am sure this was my best choice

Favorite Features

all the simple easy to use faetures on it, the leather seats, sun roof, the driving performsnce

Suggested Improvements

I am tall so i have no leg room

2004 is a greatly improved
By ARFARLE

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2001 Highlander Fwd 6 cylinder. Liked the car but not the engine. The 2004 is WONDERFUL! I can't believe the quality of the drive has improved so much. The handling is better and the third row seat is great. My six foot tall son sat in the third row seat and said it was comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the gas mileage is not as good as my previous Highlander.

Favorite Features

Third row seat and heater. Also love the stereo system, center console and rear heater.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders in the center console are awkward. It would help if the lid would slide down instead of sticking up on the driver's side.

Happy with the Highlander
By DaveH

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We were replacing our Honda Odyssey (the older version) and looking for a vehicle that handled in a similar fashion.The Highlander met all our criteria.It looks great,gets very good milage and fits all needs!

Wanted it all!
By Nicole Vargas

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I promise you I feel like I got it. I had an appointment at a BMW dealership but thought that I would give myself the peace of mind of looking at EVERYTHING! I said to myself that I would only get a SUV with a third row seat or a BMW. I was feeling that the only thing out there with a fold flat was the explorer and I really did not want a Ford. I am so glad that I did not settle. I am also glad that I gave the Highlander a chance. The minute I sat in the Highlander I knew that I was going to drive away in it. I was comfortable and VERY nicely appointed. The best deal out there. Appointed better the the BMW and cheaper. What more can I ask for!!

Favorite Features

6-disc in dash CD. Power seats. My favorite is the 3rd row seat. A must in real estate.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling could use a boost. However it's not bad.

2004 Highlander Review
By JLipka

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle because I have a rather large family. I wanted something bigger than what I was already driving. This was exactly what I was looking for. The optional 3rd row seating works great for us. I unfold it when not in use. The CD/radio that came with the Highlander sounds great. I did test drive some other makes and models of SUV's. The Toyota Highlander was the one that I enjoyed driving the most. I like that seats in the 2nd and 3rd row are able to move forward and backwards. With the 3rd row seats folded down there is ample amount of cargo space. The gas mileage is excellent for this SUV. I opted for the 4 cyl. engine.

Favorite Features

I love the extra features on the tires. They have a "dummy proof" way of telling you it's not safe to drive your car. Simply if the color on the stems are red, do not drive your vehicle. It handles excellent. It has a smooth ride over bumps. The size for the price paid was excellent.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest putting an A/C vent in the 3rd row seating area to go with the heat it has back there. The interior could use some improvements. It seems too light in color when you have children. The storage area under the shifter needs to be more easily accessible.