Used 2004 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

xticx
By james

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

No doubt Toyota highlander is wonderful on road and comfortable to drive, the only problem i have is the fuel consumption when the a/c is on.

Navigation, DVD player, heated/cooled seats

better fuel efficiency with a/c on

2004 highlander
By Deb

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Highlander new.It has been an excellent car up till now @ 66,000 miles. Last week my service engine light came on also vsc and trac monitors were on. I took it to a Toyota dealership and they said my catalytic converter was my and it was still under warranty and it would take a day to repair. Now they say a fuel sensor has gone out and it has been three more days I am not very happy with my highlander now or the dealership

Ease of handling, Only regular maintenance needed till now, Storage capacity

Tires humming
By Vic Patel

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used. No problem for a first couple of months. Even at 125,000 miles, the only problem is tires. I bought all four tires brand new. After about 20,000 miles on the tires they started to hum at speeds of 40 and up. The faster you go the more annoying the humming sound gets. I have had checked the front end alignment, and the tires seem to have worn evenly. Still I do not know what the problem is.

Wonderful vehicle
By Hardycreek

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It does all things well - carries our canoe, or our bikes, I've even laid down the back seat & slept in it. Fun to drive, comfortable, great reaction. Love this Toyota!

4x4 traction, good ground clearance

had to replace the one-piece temp control panel at $700, other than that, works great.

Good and irritants of a used Highlander
By Darrel

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 6 cy Higlander w 55 K miles - now have 75 K. I like the accelleration, power to pass & cruise at max highway speed, solid highway handling in the Kansas wind and great visibility. The 4wd has proven fabulous in rain, snow and ice. 3 irritants: Major irritant with the ABS/TPM, 2 times Toy. dealer rotated tires recommended every 10K. Takes 2 to 3 trips back to dealer to get it reset without coming on at fist big bump. The reset works but lasts until next bump/dip. Loose nut/broke wire on fan switch was surprise - $$$Ouch to fix. See internet for that problem. MPG is OK but less than I thought at just 21 at 65 mph. I'm glad I got the 3rd row seat but grandkids struggle to enter

4wd in bad weather. Good passenger and cargo size for my current needs. Cruises nicely at 80 mph in crosswinds with decent MPG of 19.

Can't stand the helicopter noise with back window down. Why did it take Toyota so long to fix the loose nut problem on the blower motor switch that results in the wire fatiguing and breaking? Toyota should have paid some of the cost to fix since a design flaw not to use a lock nut or Locktite.