2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
A Diamond in the Rough
By JET on 02/19/10 12:06 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I've ever owned. This car is not indicative of the current problems that Toyota is having. A totally reliable automobile that offers everything you need in an SUV. I never had to take this car in for any major problems, and you can even hear the engine at idle.

Built to Last
By SJ Dave on 02/18/10 16:24 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I had bought the Highlander brand new for my wife back in 2004. It is one of the best of all the vehicles we had ever owned. Back then we paid for an extra extended 7 yr. warranty which paid for it self in two visits. Two yrs. ago the stereo system stopped working since it was covered, they repl. the whole unit for free. Then in this past Dec. we took it in for service, they noticed it leaking around the water pump, it was covered so it was repl. for free. Other than that we only have done regular service, brakes & the tires were repl. I've driven it to Virginia from NJ and it's still a pleasure to drive. We still get great gas mileage from this SUV.

Disappointing unreliability
By Phoebe on 01/27/10 17:21 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

While the body is solid on the 2004 Highlander, the trim is shoddy. Wipers have scored both front and back windows; seat belt retractors leave belts dangling to get caught in doors; visors are floppy; broken filter rack fell out from under the dash. Yaw sensor went out as soon as the warranty did. Acceleration from a stop is sluggish; mileage is only average. Because it is built on a Tacoma platform, it handles like a truck.

Overall Great With a Few Questions Marks
By Trying to Decide on 01/05/10 08:17 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased in 2007 with under 30,000 mi. Now at 95,000 mi curious if it'll start needing repairs. Until now, virtually maintenance free. Snatches a little at take off or low speeds; hope no transmission issue. Love the height and lumbar support for my aching back. It's really easy to park and handling is good. Miss the handling of my sporty Acura coupe, but love the fact I can make the long trips without constant stops to stretch my back. Sometimes wish I had AWD, but we get snow once or twice a year, so I just park up the hill on level ground. Spoiled with the cargo space-I don't want a car! Great vehicle overall, but a little overpriced purchased new. Happy I made this purchase.

Overall ok, but a few problems
By Allison on 11/23/09 11:29 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Dealer said seats were scotchguarded. Were not and now they are terribly stained. Had brake problem that I took to the dealer 4 times that they couldn't figure out. Local shop fixed it. Traction control terrible. Should have gotten 4WD. Suitable gas mileage. Tow a small utility trailer fine. Good family car overall.

Excellent Buy
By Big E on 08/09/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my highlander for one month now. I am well pleased with it. The tire monitoring system is excellent it warns me if the tires are low while driving @ high speed. I recommend the purchase of this car.

Love It!
By RLH on 04/15/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Highlander I have owned and my wife and I love It! We owned our first one in 2003 and it was great. Third row seating and a few other options were the reason we traded a year later. For those of you that are annoyed with the tire pressure light, keep your tires inflated above 29 psi and this should solve your problem. I've towed a 24 foot boat to the beach and the handling was solid and precise. The 4 wheel disc brakes were amazing in stopping the 3000lbs. behind me. As with any vehicle you must have the proper maintenance performed at recommended intervals and don't wait until a problem arises then blame it on the vehicle. I also own a Toyota Tacoma pick-up for work!

Happy with a few issues
By Bob E on 04/01/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

85k miles and going very strong. Love how easy it is to park and handle. Gets 23 mpg on highway - not bad. No serious issues. This is my 5th straight Toyota (Camry, Avalon, Highlander) Issues include: original tires lasted 28k miles; transmission slow to shift/hesitates a second or so at times which is annoying; some hunting in 3rd gear at lower (30-40 mph) speeds so I take it out of OD when in town; Loud thumping when only one rear window is down and driving at highway speeds - due to air turbulence - so open two windows at a time - one on each side.

The Best
By Zvlan on 10/03/08 04:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many SUVs or what they used to call 4 wheel drives from 1960 Jeeps to all types of Toyotas. This Highlander is by far the best I ever owned. I was going to buy a new one but I'm afraid with the new look for the Highlander this new one would never live up to its predecessor. I am probably wrong and I do plan to buy when my payments end.

Amazing gas mileage for suv
By 04Hldrluvit on 07/21/08 08:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

When I first picked this up, I knew I would be paying a lot for gas, but little did I know how great this thing was on the highway, where 95%of my driving is. With the scan gauge tool, I was getting 28 mpg at 63 mph cruise. Interior is very car like and comfortable, buttons are all huge and simple. The awd is not even noticeable. Standard stability and traction control and abs is just why Toyota is dominating domestics.