2004 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
No Complaints
By peakcoach on 10/06/11 21:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2004 Highlander has 170,000 miles on it, is running strong, and not one problem This vehicle has served me well. Only general maintenance like fluid flushes, filter replacements and tire replacements.

2004 highlander
By Deb on 06/26/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Highlander new.It has been an excellent car up till now @ 66,000 miles. Last week my service engine light came on also vsc and trac monitors were on. I took it to a Toyota dealership and they said my catalytic converter was my and it was still under warranty and it would take a day to repair. Now they say a fuel sensor has gone out and it has been three more days I am not very happy with my highlander now or the dealership

Disappointing unreliability
By Phoebe on 01/27/10 17:21 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

While the body is solid on the 2004 Highlander, the trim is shoddy. Wipers have scored both front and back windows; seat belt retractors leave belts dangling to get caught in doors; visors are floppy; broken filter rack fell out from under the dash. Yaw sensor went out as soon as the warranty did. Acceleration from a stop is sluggish; mileage is only average. Because it is built on a Tacoma platform, it handles like a truck.

Quality and reliability
By dudek6092 on 12/08/07 07:37 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Solid quality car with a great view of the road. Back to the dealer only for upgrades or recalls. Original tires lasted 19000 miles, replaced with Bridgestone. Exterior remains in excellent condition looks like new.

You can depend on this one.
By ED on 09/30/07 06:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I always buy Toyota because of the reliability and quality. This is no exception. Yes the ride is a little uncomfortable, and the tranny does feel awkward in certain situations, but so far this car has not given me any problems not one, it had a minor recall issue but Toyota took care of it at no charge; some sensor needed to be replaced. I would recommend this SUV to anyone who needs security to move around on a day to day basis.

2004 Toyota Highlander
By Desarae on 02/07/07 22:08 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! I keep up with the recommended maintenance and have NEVER had a problem. The oxygen sensor had to be replaced but that was covered under the warranty. At 73,000 miles, I am still running the original tires (with every other oil change rotation). Sometimes after a check-up, the tire pressure sensor light comes on (on the dashboard) and has to be reset. This usually only happens when the tires are rotated. My Highlander is a Katrina survivor. It survived 4 feet of water (NONE in the engine or interior) and a 30 foot pine tree ($8,000 in damage). We have been considering adding a Hybrid to the family.

Almost there....
By Kirk831 on 09/05/06 10:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Easy to drive, very reliable, quiet and comfortable. Base model was reasonable in price, but those options add up fast ! Rear seat is only for kids, don't believe 2 adults can occupy.

Good, but rattles a lot...
By A Kumar on 08/12/06 21:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Highlander thinking that Toyota is the venerable brand. The vehicle had good build quality, the panels were very closely aligned with no obvious spacing, however, the big issue was that within 20,000 miles, I heard lots of rattles. Those rattles were coming from all over the vehicle. I felt that paying so much for Toyota made me feel like driving in a tin box, everything in the vehicle looked flimsy and about to break.

Can't go wrong
By Ron on 03/06/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This truck if you want to call it that - it is more like a car and is fantastic. The 4 cyl is plenty peppy and gives good gas mileage. The back seats also recline which is comfortable for the passengers. The build quality is very good and attention is paid to detail. It came standard with stability control and abs brakes and traction control so even without 4wd it is good in the snow. I don't regret buying it for one minute.

Simply The Best
By Peggy on 01/22/06 10:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I did extensive research before buying my first SUV, and have not been disappointed in my selection. My Highlander has been extremely reliable, not one problem in almost 2 years and 42,000 miles. It's comfortable, roomy, drives like a car, and gets good gas mileage. I was worried about having sufficient power with the 4-cylinder engine, but it definitely delivers the power when needed. I can't imagine owning any other car - except maybe a Highlander Hybrid. I would recommend this SUV to anyone who is looking for the best value & ride for their money.

1 2 3 4 5 next »