2004 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
No Complaints
By peakcoach on 10/06/11 21:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2004 Highlander has 170,000 miles on it, is running strong, and not one problem This vehicle has served me well. Only general maintenance like fluid flushes, filter replacements and tire replacements.

Expensive to maintain
By doug128 on 10/02/11 10:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I enjoy driving the Highlander but I have found it very expensive to maintain. I have had to replace 7 wheel bearings and the drive shaft to the rear wheels because of the bearings. It has 93,000 miles on it now. Brakes have also been expensive as it seems the ABS sensor are quite sensitive to failure and have had to replace some with the brakes which makes it very costly. I bought the Toyota as it was rated as a reliable car. It has turned out to be very expensive!

Still hard to beat after 7 years and nearly 100,000 miles
By bbimmer7 on 02/05/11 10:51 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I received my '04 Highlander in 2010 from my mother when she purchased her new BMW X3. It was a great family car when it was hers and now it is a great first car for a teenage driver. Although it was a rather expensive car when bought new back in 12/2003, reliability has been excellent over the past 7 years, and very little money has had to have been put into it. Interior comfort and fit & finish quality are excellent. Exterior styling is a bit too boring for my tastes. Overall, I'm really happy with my Highlander. It's a solid vehicle with so many great features, and it's a great first car!

CAUTION
By raygen on 02/04/11 22:32 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

be warned this vehicle while an outstanding vehicle does seem to have problems with the steering rack at 65 K I fell as if I should not be asked to replace it already.

xticx
By james on 08/22/10 14:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

No doubt Toyota highlander is wonderful on road and comfortable to drive, the only problem i have is the fuel consumption when the a/c is on.

2004 highlander
By Deb on 06/26/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Highlander new.It has been an excellent car up till now @ 66,000 miles. Last week my service engine light came on also vsc and trac monitors were on. I took it to a Toyota dealership and they said my catalytic converter was my and it was still under warranty and it would take a day to repair. Now they say a fuel sensor has gone out and it has been three more days I am not very happy with my highlander now or the dealership

Tires humming
By Vic Patel on 04/19/10 12:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used. No problem for a first couple of months. Even at 125,000 miles, the only problem is tires. I bought all four tires brand new. After about 20,000 miles on the tires they started to hum at speeds of 40 and up. The faster you go the more annoying the humming sound gets. I have had checked the front end alignment, and the tires seem to have worn evenly. Still I do not know what the problem is.

Wonderful vehicle
By Hardycreek on 04/15/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It does all things well - carries our canoe, or our bikes, I've even laid down the back seat & slept in it. Fun to drive, comfortable, great reaction. Love this Toyota!

Good and irritants of a used Highlander
By Darrel on 03/01/10 08:34 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 6 cy Higlander w 55 K miles - now have 75 K. I like the accelleration, power to pass & cruise at max highway speed, solid highway handling in the Kansas wind and great visibility. The 4wd has proven fabulous in rain, snow and ice. 3 irritants: Major irritant with the ABS/TPM, 2 times Toy. dealer rotated tires recommended every 10K. Takes 2 to 3 trips back to dealer to get it reset without coming on at fist big bump. The reset works but lasts until next bump/dip. Loose nut/broke wire on fan switch was surprise - $$$Ouch to fix. See internet for that problem. MPG is OK but less than I thought at just 21 at 65 mph. I'm glad I got the 3rd row seat but grandkids struggle to enter

Solid As A Rock
By Steve on 02/23/10 12:43 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our Highlander since it was new and run up 70k on it. So far so good. No major problems. I have only changed the oil and tires. We do have an AC problem with it getting warm as you turn corners or hit a bump. Its a common problem and you need to pull out the control panel and soder the wires back on. I will get around to it some time. The gas mileage is fine for a midsize SUV, what do people expect when the buy the car? Highway driving will get you maybe 22 if you drive 65 otherwise its 19-20 mpg. Combined we average about 17. The Highlander suffers from some wind and road noise and the back seat could use a little more leg room. I have found it to be a very capable car.