Used 2004 Toyota Highlander Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Disappointing unreliability
By Phoebe

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

While the body is solid on the 2004 Highlander, the trim is shoddy. Wipers have scored both front and back windows; seat belt retractors leave belts dangling to get caught in doors; visors are floppy; broken filter rack fell out from under the dash. Yaw sensor went out as soon as the warranty did. Acceleration from a stop is sluggish; mileage is only average. Because it is built on a Tacoma platform, it handles like a truck.

Favorite Features

Brakes take hold immediately, reminding me of old style power assist brakes. Vehicle handles well with all season tires on snow and ice. There is plenty of room fro two dogs and their equipment.

Suggested Improvements

Make the vehicle handle like a car rather than a truck. Improve details so they don't irritate one to death every time they need fixing. Improve acceleration on automatic so it responds immediately instead of with delay in emergency situations.

No Complaints
By peakcoach

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2004 Highlander has 170,000 miles on it, is running strong, and not one problem This vehicle has served me well. Only general maintenance like fluid flushes, filter replacements and tire replacements.

2004 highlander
By Deb

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Highlander new.It has been an excellent car up till now @ 66,000 miles. Last week my service engine light came on also vsc and trac monitors were on. I took it to a Toyota dealership and they said my catalytic converter was my and it was still under warranty and it would take a day to repair. Now they say a fuel sensor has gone out and it has been three more days I am not very happy with my highlander now or the dealership

Favorite Features

Ease of handling, Only regular maintenance needed till now, Storage capacity

You can depend on this one.
By ED

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I always buy Toyota because of the reliability and quality. This is no exception. Yes the ride is a little uncomfortable, and the tranny does feel awkward in certain situations, but so far this car has not given me any problems not one, it had a minor recall issue but Toyota took care of it at no charge; some sensor needed to be replaced. I would recommend this SUV to anyone who needs security to move around on a day to day basis.

Favorite Features

Quality and reliability, gas mileage, peace of mind and simple.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could use some help and more comfortable seats.

Quality and reliability
By dudek6092

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Solid quality car with a great view of the road. Back to the dealer only for upgrades or recalls. Original tires lasted 19000 miles, replaced with Bridgestone. Exterior remains in excellent condition looks like new.

Favorite Features

Easy entry, comfortable seating, air conditioning and heating are excellent

Suggested Improvements

provide outside air temp. and compass as standard item.