Used 2004 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

No Complaints
By peakcoach

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2004 Highlander has 170,000 miles on it, is running strong, and not one problem This vehicle has served me well. Only general maintenance like fluid flushes, filter replacements and tire replacements.

Expensive to maintain
By doug128

2004 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I enjoy driving the Highlander but I have found it very expensive to maintain. I have had to replace 7 wheel bearings and the drive shaft to the rear wheels because of the bearings. It has 93,000 miles on it now. Brakes have also been expensive as it seems the ABS sensor are quite sensitive to failure and have had to replace some with the brakes which makes it very costly. I bought the Toyota as it was rated as a reliable car. It has turned out to be very expensive!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Good in snow. Lots of room to haul items and people.

Suggested Improvements

I think Toyota should find better bearings and go back to replacable U-joints in the drive shaft.

Still hard to beat after 7 years and nearly 100,000 miles
By bbimmer7

2004 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I received my '04 Highlander in 2010 from my mother when she purchased her new BMW X3. It was a great family car when it was hers and now it is a great first car for a teenage driver. Although it was a rather expensive car when bought new back in 12/2003, reliability has been excellent over the past 7 years, and very little money has had to have been put into it. Interior comfort and fit & finish quality are excellent. Exterior styling is a bit too boring for my tastes. Overall, I'm really happy with my Highlander. It's a solid vehicle with so many great features, and it's a great first car!

Favorite Features

I love the supportive perforated leather seats, heated seats, JBL sound system, automatic climate controls, woodgrain/brushed aluminum interior trim, cd changer, moonroof, 17-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels, all wheel drive, and 5-speed auto. The Highlander is great on comfort and visibility is exceptional for such a large vehicle. Acceleration is decent for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The V6 should have more power. The exterior styling, although attractive, is way too boring Fuel economy could be better, but I guess it's not awful for an AWD mid-size SUV. The heated front seats only have one low setting that doesn't do much; they should have at least 2 levels.

CAUTION
By raygen

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

be warned this vehicle while an outstanding vehicle does seem to have problems with the steering rack at 65 K I fell as if I should not be asked to replace it already.

xticx
By james

2004 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

No doubt Toyota highlander is wonderful on road and comfortable to drive, the only problem i have is the fuel consumption when the a/c is on.

Favorite Features

Navigation, DVD player, heated/cooled seats

Suggested Improvements

better fuel efficiency with a/c on