2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Mechanically reliable, no fril

2003 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Mechanically reliable, no frills vehicle.
By j_ash on

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 about two years ago with about 70k miles. I had to replace the HVAC blower motor (approx $250) because of an annoying rattle. Aside from that issue I've had no other machanical problems at 115k. I will say that the front seat is uncomfortable and is ill suited to long drives. The cabin materials in general are cheaper than other cars I've owned in the past. The carpet is super thin and the leather is of substandard quality in my opinion. A good car if you dont care about the ugly, cheap interior.nion. Not a bad car if you don't care about the interior.
By lsthkr
on 01/28/11 17:59 PM (PST)

Glad you didn't purchase the 2.4L 4cyl engine. A few days ago mine over-heated, long-story short, some rear head bolts where found to be stripped-out allowing coolant leak, it may cost several thousand dollars to fix, if it works. 126,000m, original owner, seems to be pretty common problem if you look at blogs and threads about it. I haven't heard back from Toyota to see if they will help cover the cost.