Used 2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

I am VERY pleased with my '03
By dan

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We did a lot of SUV shopping. We are used to driving older Explorers and lost a little bit of power, but the sacrifice of power for the SUPER increase in mileage is well worth it. Overall I have never been happier with an auto purchase.

Powerful 4cyl gets great mpg.

Better cupholders, stiffer suspension.

Rock Solid
By J-Texas

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Drives like a car more than an SUV, but it's attractive and rock solid. Having it to do all over again, I would have upgraded to leather.

Interior design is well styled.

Bring back rubber bumpers - every little bump and scratch shows.

By Tony

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased the 03 Highlander about a month ago and it is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned (owning brand new 00' Grand Am and 03' Silverado prior). It had about 44,000 miles on the odometer and it still drives like new. We test drove an 02 Rendezvous with only 20,000 miles and still drove off with this vehicle. It is very quiet even on the windiest days. The gas mileage is consistently reading around 18 to 20 mpg, which for a midsize is pretty impressive. We bought this because we needed a familly vehicle with my wife delivering our first born a week later, and am totaly secure driving my family around in the Highlander.

Power everything on this model, I had shied away from power options in the past, figuring the more options, the things to go wrong. But I am quickly changing my mind. The thing is so quiet you can hardly tell the engine is running.

Leg room, leg room, leg room. Don't know if Toyota has improved this on the newer models, but I traded in a regular cab truck and the leg room difference is like night and day. I honestly have a hard time digging into my hip pocket to get my wallet even before strapping on the seatbelt.

We like our Highlander
By DON

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We like our Highlander. Our previous vehicle was a 4-Runner. The Highlander has a much more comfortable ride, and gets much better gas mileage. I can't tell that we lost any space either.... it seems we can haul just as much stuff as we did in the 4- Runner. About the only thing I don't like about the vehicle is the exterior styling.... very boring.

Smooth and comfortable ride. Very spacious -- can haul a lot of stuff.

I have difficulty seeing the turning signals and the speedometer when the steering wheel is in the down position. I would suggest more than just two positions for the steering wheel. Also an alarm if you leave the turning signals on. I would like to see "sleeker" lines in the exterior styling.

Love My Highlander
By auntiejenn

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm very happy with this vehicle. I've taken it on several long (1500 mile) trips and it is as comfortable to drive & ride in as a good quality car. The only complaints I have about it are: (1) the lifter (fuel injector) noise -- and even that is minor. With no radio on, sitting still, you can hear the f.i. system working, but while driving, or with radio on normal volume, you cannot. (2) the paint on the hood chips very easily from normal road wear. I would buy it again ... zero mechanical issues, easy to drive, comfy. Holds value well.

Ride & comfort. Truly rides like a car, comfortable for all passengers even on long trips.

Sleeker exterior - it's boxy. Climate control would be nice.