Used 2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 307 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

My Favorite Car
By Ancistrus

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned/co-owned 9 cars. This one is my favorite. No problems at all in 57,000 miles.

Tight steering. Comfortable interior.

The 3.0 L engine in the 2003 wasn't really big enough. I've driven a 2007 with a larger engine and it was a bit faster at acceleration. Also, I've never really liked the HVAC controls.

My mechanic sold me
By John

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ease of parking, good on the interstate and comfortable seating for four adults are some of the reasons we purchased this high end Highlander. But the biggest reason was my trusted mechanic recommended the Highlander to my wife. We haven't been disappointed. Smooth ride and able to negotiate in tight parking spots are two more benefits we were expecting from an SUV.

Electronic mileage and mph reporting; reclining rear seats and smooth ride.

The middle console is wasted space. I like the Honda Pilot's better. I wish the window lock would not also lock the driver's controls.

I am VERY pleased with my '03
By dan

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We did a lot of SUV shopping. We are used to driving older Explorers and lost a little bit of power, but the sacrifice of power for the SUPER increase in mileage is well worth it. Overall I have never been happier with an auto purchase.

Powerful 4cyl gets great mpg.

Better cupholders, stiffer suspension.

Rock Solid
By J-Texas

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Drives like a car more than an SUV, but it's attractive and rock solid. Having it to do all over again, I would have upgraded to leather.

Interior design is well styled.

Bring back rubber bumpers - every little bump and scratch shows.

By Tony

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased the 03 Highlander about a month ago and it is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned (owning brand new 00' Grand Am and 03' Silverado prior). It had about 44,000 miles on the odometer and it still drives like new. We test drove an 02 Rendezvous with only 20,000 miles and still drove off with this vehicle. It is very quiet even on the windiest days. The gas mileage is consistently reading around 18 to 20 mpg, which for a midsize is pretty impressive. We bought this because we needed a familly vehicle with my wife delivering our first born a week later, and am totaly secure driving my family around in the Highlander.

Power everything on this model, I had shied away from power options in the past, figuring the more options, the things to go wrong. But I am quickly changing my mind. The thing is so quiet you can hardly tell the engine is running.

Leg room, leg room, leg room. Don't know if Toyota has improved this on the newer models, but I traded in a regular cab truck and the leg room difference is like night and day. I honestly have a hard time digging into my hip pocket to get my wallet even before strapping on the seatbelt.