Used 2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great SUV
By Vlad

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car two months ago. Great SUV. Has a lot of leg room for the driver (I am 6'3), has plenty of room in the bask seat. Lots of storage. Great in snow (I live in Cleveland). Great gas mileage for SUV. I recommend the 6 cylinder as the 4 cylinder is somewhat underpowered (driven the 4 cylinder also) and not much better fuel economy.

Plenty of room, good pick up, versatile.

None - great SUV all around.

Very satisfied owner
By Arizona Bob

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Most of my driving is long distant and here in AZ when the temp. is over 100 degrees the car is great and the AC does a good job. The average speed here is between 75 and eighty and I have had no problems overheating. My goal is to reach 300000 miles. I am now at 60000 and everything is original but the tires.

Comfort, quiet and solid, still not a rattle at 60000 miles. Highway mileage at about 21 mils per gal. not bad at 75 mph plus.

Get rid of the ggodyear intergra tires, I replaced them at about 50,000 miles, made a super differnce in handling, should have done it sooner. Better dashboard lighting, Can not see it in the daytime.

2003 Highlander (2.4L 4A)
By Rich

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Highlander has been a very reliable vehicle. It's very well built and has lots of room. I'm always amazed how much I can stuff into it! The handling and traction has improved considerably after replacing the cheap OEM Goodyear Integritys with Michelin LTXs. The 4 cyl isn't exactly a tire-burner but it consistently gets upper 20s to lower 30s mileage on the highway. We tow a two PWC trailer at just over 2000 lbs. and pulls it nicely at speeds up to 60 mph. Over that and the engine has to work quite hard. Needless to say the mileage drops to the low teens. Overall, I'm hard pressed to find something as roomy and versatile as our Highlander on the market today!

Comfortable ride, roomy, great mileage and very well built. The handling is very well mannered. Many standard features that are optional on similar domestic models. The 4 cyl is more than adequate for 90% of our driving needs.

Very conservative styling. The front doors need to be a couple of inches longer to make getting in and out a bit easier. Needs a digital compass and outside temperature display. And better OEM tires.

My Favorite Car
By Ancistrus

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned/co-owned 9 cars. This one is my favorite. No problems at all in 57,000 miles.

Tight steering. Comfortable interior.

The 3.0 L engine in the 2003 wasn't really big enough. I've driven a 2007 with a larger engine and it was a bit faster at acceleration. Also, I've never really liked the HVAC controls.

My mechanic sold me
By John

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ease of parking, good on the interstate and comfortable seating for four adults are some of the reasons we purchased this high end Highlander. But the biggest reason was my trusted mechanic recommended the Highlander to my wife. We haven't been disappointed. Smooth ride and able to negotiate in tight parking spots are two more benefits we were expecting from an SUV.

Electronic mileage and mph reporting; reclining rear seats and smooth ride.

The middle console is wasted space. I like the Honda Pilot's better. I wish the window lock would not also lock the driver's controls.