Used 2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Unknow Defect
By TJ Chin

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I would like to say I really enjoy my Highlander and it is really a pleasure to drive in all types of weather. I was truly impressed when I tried to make it go out of control on an icy patch of road in a parking lot no matter how hard I tried it had a mind of its own not to let me. The CSV is your Co-pilot and really assist to maintain control at all times.Traction? all of those Hummers and 4x4's look out this one will keep up with you.

Favorite Features

The stability and the JBL sound system booms.

Suggested Improvements

The Defect! The weather strip in the front doors has been replaced 4 times and will be replaced again due to ripping.Toyota has put a mounting clip in the moulding that causes this ripping and has done nothing to fix this problem

New owner - V6 AWD Base HL
By fvp

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Could not be more pleased with this purchase. The Highlander is our second Toyota purchase this year [we bought a Sienna in February] and glad we went with the HL. We considered many other vehicles: Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder and the Outback wagon to name a few. None stacked up to the Highlander, plus we got it at invoice.

Favorite Features

Toyota fit, finish and reliability, AWD and still get over 20 MPG during break- in, V6 power, car-like ride, butter smooth engine and drivetrain.

Suggested Improvements

Include more options as standard features. For expample, foglights should be standard equipment on a vehicle with a $32,000 sticker.

A Great Choice
By JoeWino

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had 7 Toyota Cars over the years but this is our first Toyota SUV. Handles like a car. Great pick up. very nice features. I expect this one to be around our house a long time. got a great deal from the dealer. Bought it over the internet for 100 over invoice. Fully loaded. Wife is happy so what can I say. We still have a 96 Avalon that runs like the day I bought it only now it has 115,000 on it. The 99 Tacoma is my daughters now and it is still going strong. Great value and you get quite a bit for the money. Plus you get Toyota quality. Go buy one!

Favorite Features

Sun roof and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

A little more with room in the drivers compartment for us big guys.

Great ride
By Jack Durban

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a well designed and built car. I say car because it does not ride at all like a SUV. It is fast and nimble and gets incredible gas mileage. I just turned in a Chevy Tahoe on an expired lease. To be honest GM had to send someone from another state to pick it up because no dealer would accept it back! No lie, no one wanted the pile of junk even though they were under contract to accept the vehicle at lease end. I will be buying more toyota vehicles in the future. Can't say that about GM.

Favorite Features

Interior and handling

Suggested Improvements

Stereo / CD changer is a little cheesy.

Great Car - Reasonble Price
By toylander

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After test driving many vehicles in the same class (Honda Pilot, Mitsubishi Endeavor, Nissan Murano), we decided that the Highlander provided the best combination of ride, size, reliability and value. Through in the fact that we got the car at $1500 under invoice with 3.9% financing for 60 months, and we just couldn't turn it down. After owning two Volvo wagons that had unrelenting mechanical problems, it's nice to own a reliable vehicle that won't leave me stranded on the Jersey Turnpike in 100 degree heat.

Favorite Features

climate control, sound system and heated leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Location/configuration of cup holders in center console are poorly thought out at best. I know that's a trivial thing, but it's all I see lacking in the vehicle so far.