Used 2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

2003 Highlander
By kmcculloh

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After driving the Honda Pilot, Mitsubshi Endevor, Nissan Murano, Chevrolet Trailblazer and Ford Explorer, the Highlander was the winner. Exceptional ride quality, handling and engine performance. The car dealer was wonderful and easy to deal with. Driving this vehicle is a pleasure, it has responsive steering and excellent brakes. It also gets reasonable gas mileage for a SUV. I had every intention of buying the 4 cylinder but after driving both the 4 and V6, I choose the V6.

I love the power sunroof, as I live in Southern California I use it all the time. I am also glad that I have the V6 engine, its extra power is worth the few mpg difference of the 4 cylinder.

Power opening rear side vents would be a great option.

Tried Something New - Good and True
By Grammar Girl

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ride is smooth and secure. Tires are huge! Road noise is minimal on highway compared to Camry I had previously. Large storage compartments up front are handy.

Foot pedal parking brake; rear seat fold flat; lots of room!

Standard 8-way passenger seat; easily removable canopy cover bar; rear-hatch release up front

Best on the road!
By Pruguy

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best ride, most comfortable, most reliable SUV on the road. It is true. I will never go back to GM or Ford. And I think it is the best looking SUV on the road. I am a believer. If you test drive one you will be also.

Reliability is tops in all the ratings. And it rides like a car.

Use a primier similar in color to the paint so that chips in the paint due to stones etc, don't show up as pronounce as black primer under silver paint.

An SUV that drives like a Camry
By lbutch

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned four Camry's and thought I would give a Highlander a try after all the good things I have heard about them. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner. I absolutely love this vehicle.There isn't a squeak or a rattle in it. It rides like a Camry and is so quiet we can whisper to each other when driving.I have never taken a Toyota back to have anything repaired or fixed after buying them except oil changes. A true pleasure to own and I would recommend it to anyone.

The ride and v-6 response.

None

Glad I bought a Toyota
By Toyota owner

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV is big enough without being too big, rides great, and has the visibility and room you expect in an SUV. I bought this to replace a '97 Ford Exploder and there is no comparison. It will pull 3500 lbs. (just like the Ford) which is more than plenty. I also looked at a Pathfinder, and the Toyota is superior in every way except towing capacity. You owe it to yourself to test drive the Highlander. I also considered a Honda Pilot, but there were few available (all at MSRP++) and the dealers wanted deposits on a car they couldn't deliver for a month.

ride, front seat comfort, engine performance, visibility, back seat room and cargo space.

To get a 6 disc in dash CD changer requires getting the "Limited" package, which in my case would have meant spending another $3,000. I couldn't justify paying that amount just to get the changer.