2003 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Buyer beware
By bk on 07/20/10 20:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this car new and kept it dealer maintained for 7 years. I found it to be quite a reliable vehicle until recently. At 118,000 miles it developed a coolant leak. It was ultimately found to be due to stripped out threads in the engine block (i.e. the car needed a new engine ~ $7500.00). After discovering that I was not the only one to experience this problem (check online Toyota forums), I notified Toyota. The Rep stated, "Your engine may be defective, but we cannot help you because you are out of warranty." Beware of the 4 cylinder engine in the 03 Highlander! A dealer maintained vehicle is worthless, and Toyota has lost a customer. And so it goes.

Best of the best
By laurag on 06/16/10 16:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this used for a new sales position. I call it my office on wheels. I'm have over 140,000 miles on it and have had no repairs. Other than the oil and tires, it's been problem free. Runs and drives like brand new.

Great SUV
By David on 05/18/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great SUV! I am getting 24-26 mpg 70/30 hwy/city. I got the dreaded P0420/P0430 check engine light. Ran several tanks of the good gas with fuel system cleaner. Cleared codes and everything is fine now. Runs better too! Love the economy with all the space and 4 cylinder has plenty of pep for me. I have been looking for an SUV with plenty of room and economy. Fun to drive and rides nice too!

Almost Perfect
By John Adams on 05/09/10 09:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am a small business owner and was using an Odyssey for hauling and an Accord for personal running. Been looking for something doing both. Finally decided to buy a 4 cylinder Highlander with 118,000 miles. And I have never been so happy in my life on making a car buying choice like this one. Great gas mileage, can do the loading as good as in my Odyssey. Great Car like smooth ride, and great gas mileage. Yes, being a 4 cylinder it does not have that V6 feel but who cares, it has good enough power to hold its own. Recommended 200% to all those who need good gas mileage, need bigger space, wanna drive SUV like looks and don't care if the vehicle does not make 0-60 miles in 6 seconds.

HL in Russia
By Max on 04/18/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very good car for cold climate. Very smooth ride on bumpy roads in Russia. Got it at 72K miles and run 50k more within 30 months. No problems with the car so far.

Rock Solid
By Mike D on 10/24/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Toyota (1st Highlander), after 1 Corolla & 2 Camry's prior. All stellar. I am not an impulsive buyer and not made out of money, so researched this purchase thoroughly. With Toyota's build quality, could not see spending big $ on a new one, or even a 3-year-old off lease model. Have only owned for about a month. Car has 52K miles & is ROCK SOLID, much as I had suspected it would be. At 7 years old, it drives like it's brand new. Will go to 200K miles no doubt.

Vanilla
By DV on 08/20/08 08:44 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned the Highlander for five years now and have never gotten used to the exterior styling. It's about as vanilla (plain) as they come. The interior is well done, however, and the car provides a very comfortable ride, although it's a bit noisy at highway speed. Reliability and quality are good - just as one might expect from Toyota. However, if you're looking for good styling and a powerful, fun car to drive this is not it - nor is any Toyota for that matter. The car lacks style and horsepower and has no towing capacity. Most importantly, it lacks rear interior space and can only carry four to five adults. (Only small children can fit in the optional rear seat.)

Neat truck
By jake65 on 07/17/08 23:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The truck was purchased brand new in 2003. So far it has 97,000 miles and runs like it's brand new. Some of the problems I can think of is the paint scratches very easily. And the tires wear out a little sooner than expected. Other than that it is very comfortable and pretty quiet inside. It's also quite powerful for its size and gas mileage. It's a great truck and I plan to drive it for a long time.

The best car I have ever owned
By jane on 04/30/08 09:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If this car died today it would owe me absolutely nothing. I have never had it back to the dealer for anything but routine maintenance. In fact at 111,000 miles I just took it in for a brake job and was told that they could save the rotors. These are the original brakes!!! Bet you wouldn't get that on an American car. Love this vehicle. Hope it lasts like the ones on the TV ads for at least 300,000 miles. I started driving in 1966 and have had many cars but this one is by far the best I have ever owned.

Great SUV
By Vlad on 02/08/08 14:02 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car two months ago. Great SUV. Has a lot of leg room for the driver (I am 6'3), has plenty of room in the bask seat. Lots of storage. Great in snow (I live in Cleveland). Great gas mileage for SUV. I recommend the 6 cylinder as the 4 cylinder is somewhat underpowered (driven the 4 cylinder also) and not much better fuel economy.