2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Bad Engine!

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Bad Engine!
By jbass5 on

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander four years ago and have loved it til now. It seems there are a batch of Toyota 6cyl engines with bad valve seals. Toyota was repairing these engines until 2010. They absolve themselves after a vehicle is 8 years old. We bought our Highlander in 2010 with only 87000mi. It now has 133000mi. Now in the last six months the engine consumes large quantities of oil. The symptom of these engines with bad seals is they consume oil when driven at highway speeds. A service mgr at the local Toyota dealer confirmed this valve seal problem when I described the pattern of oil consumption, a $2700. repair at the dealer if it is still repairable! the six seals cost $6 each!

AWD is awesome in winter, Comfortable interior.
By eenglish99
on 10/21/15 09:01 AM (PDT)

RE: Oil consumption on 2002 Highlander. My FIX is to just drive a little slower. I used 9 quarts driving from Mass to Florida. If I drive locally I use 0. I found if I drive 65 and lower I use no oil. This is a bit painful in Florida where the speed limit is 70 and everyone drives 80+ but in many places 65 is the speed limit. Try it.