Used 2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

I love my Highlander
By Dave

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my car for transition to retirement. I was a financial advisor and always drove cars that were less than 3 years old. This one was for work and retirement. It is now five years old and I am going for ten. It is maintenance free. I carry kayaks on the top, paddles inside, use it to take stuff to the dump, and use it to take my wife to nice functions. In fact, I am using it to drive a candidate for Comptroller of the whole state of CT. I love this car.

Ease of converting from sedan to wagon to haul stuff to the dump. Rack.

Hybrid for all models of Highlander.

Would've been good. Should've.
By LostRealist

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good car, but it does have problems. I don't know if we got a lemon, or if this is just the way this car is. We bought this car new, and since then have only put 45,000 miles on it. The engine is very noisy now, which can't be due to a bad driver. The family member that drives this is very gentle with it, making no use of the 200-some hp engine. Gas mileage is pretty poor for a Toyota, even if it is an SUV. Had to replace the blower fan and motor for the a/c 3 times already. It's starting to go out again. Original brakes are still on it and even though they don't need to be replaced anytime soon, they still emit a soft high-pitched sqeal.

Cargo space (didn't get the 3-row seats), audio system, the V6 241-hp engine, AWD

fix the problem with a/c, brakes, little more comfort wouldn't hurt, WAY better gas mileage (this is a toyota, SUV or not, should get gas mileage like a toyota, especially if it's build on a camry chassis)

still lovin it after 4 years
By colette

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

the comfort, reliability and reasonable gas mileage (avg. 18 mpg around town) makes this vehicle perfect for a single person or small family. i would not hesitate to by a newer model in say, 8- 10 years!

console, drives like a car, nice cargo space.

brighter back-up lights for nite time driving. i hit a dark-colored car at nite because of the dark tinted windows.

2002 Highlander
By Highlander02

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd and last Toyota as the reliability has been just plain awful. I've had constant interior rattles and now my instrument cluster is dead, as are two air to fuel sensors. I'm only 2k out of warranty and the dealer along with Toyota said 'Too Bad', even though it's always been dealer serviced. Having a $1200 repair at just over 3 years of age while being just 2k out of warranty is unacceptable. Who ever heard of an instrument cluster dying at just 3 years of age!

Interior design was well planned although plain.

Reliability.

An '02... 60K+... & still bulletproof.
By Chandler S

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replacing our '95 4Runner (purchased new) was our '02 Highlander (purchased new - 3.0l V6 4x2). Occupants appreciate the comfortable and plush interior. The Camry-based ride is tight and refined. The original 16" Goodyears were just replaced @ 60K (with same). Absolutely NO mechanical problems to date. An extremely sure-footed vehicle (further enhanced with VSC) in foul weather. Much easier to park/maneuver than a larger SUV. I would describe the exterior styling as modestly elegant. We experience 23 mpg in mixed driving, approaching 30 mpg hwy. Overall, an excellent value.

VSC, front seat comfort, rear seat space (these even recline). Bonus feature - resultant peace of mind. It's good to know that when the weather gets bad - my wife is safe in the Highlander.

Improve access to oil filter (contortionism a plus here); improve channeling of old oil from filter region (gets messy); improve oil fill rate (presently limited).