Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

2002 Highlander
By Highlander02

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd and last Toyota as the reliability has been just plain awful. I've had constant interior rattles and now my instrument cluster is dead, as are two air to fuel sensors. I'm only 2k out of warranty and the dealer along with Toyota said 'Too Bad', even though it's always been dealer serviced. Having a $1200 repair at just over 3 years of age while being just 2k out of warranty is unacceptable. Who ever heard of an instrument cluster dying at just 3 years of age!

Favorite Features

Interior design was well planned although plain.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

An '02... 60K+... & still bulletproof.
By Chandler S

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replacing our '95 4Runner (purchased new) was our '02 Highlander (purchased new - 3.0l V6 4x2). Occupants appreciate the comfortable and plush interior. The Camry-based ride is tight and refined. The original 16" Goodyears were just replaced @ 60K (with same). Absolutely NO mechanical problems to date. An extremely sure-footed vehicle (further enhanced with VSC) in foul weather. Much easier to park/maneuver than a larger SUV. I would describe the exterior styling as modestly elegant. We experience 23 mpg in mixed driving, approaching 30 mpg hwy. Overall, an excellent value.

Favorite Features

VSC, front seat comfort, rear seat space (these even recline). Bonus feature - resultant peace of mind. It's good to know that when the weather gets bad - my wife is safe in the Highlander.

Suggested Improvements

Improve access to oil filter (contortionism a plus here); improve channeling of old oil from filter region (gets messy); improve oil fill rate (presently limited).

Highlander drives great/holds a lot
By Jim

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Fun car to drive and very functional with a large payload when you fold the middle seats down.

Favorite Features

Feel of the drive. Payload capability.

I love my Highlander ! !
By Julie

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. I would buy it again in a second. It has been very reliable. I have about 110,000 miles on it and have never had a moment's trouble out of it. Just the regular oil changes and tire rotations.

Favorite Features

It looks good. I like the mid-size of this SUV. Love the fold-away armrests. Very reliable! Adult passengers are always impressed with roominess of backseat.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise when windows are down. It would be nice if rear window could open.

Best front wheel drive suv
By ojs

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 36000 miles on it. The dealer wanted to sell us a xterra at first, but after the test drive of both cars, I came to be in love with the highlander. It has comfort, performance, and style. Now I have close to 80000 miles on it and still running strong. Only major problem was that the idle was very low aroung 200rpms. Took it to the dealer and it was the idle air control valve. But other then that no problems. I have only done the maint. on it. At 75000 I changed the tires (40000 miles tires). I have not even touched the brakes. Last time I check them at 75000, they still have 75%-50% life on them.

Favorite Features

vvt-i great power. 80mph going up hill no problem smooth shifts, very low maint. great brakes,

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats, fix the wind noise when driving over 15mph with the rear window down.