Used 2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Most Helpful|
A mix of strong and weak points
By Dave N.

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My lease on this Highlander runs out soon and I am undecided whether I should buy it, or turn it in. It's been very reliable, with one odd recurring problem: if you don't tighten the gas cap completely, a light comes on to indicate a problem with the emission controls. To get it reset, you have to take the vehicle to a dealer! It is heavy and feels ponderous. Fuel efficiency (19 mpg) is OK for a two-ton vehicle, but acceleration is mediocre even with the V6. The seats are not very comfortable on long trips. The controls on the steering column are confusing at night. The deep, narrow console between the front seats is horrible; stuff at the bottom is impossible to reach!

Favorite Features

Reliable, fairly roomy, decent cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the center storage console! Move some controls from steering column to dashboard.

Problem Solved Early
By Dene

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After owning the car a few years, my check engine light would come on and go off. The service manager recommended that I do the cat. converter because it seemed that it was going out and I only had about 15,000 miles before my warranty was up. I think this is problem with some of the Highlanders. And yes, the heater/air is acting up.

Favorite Features

Enough room to carry a lot of stuff. I can depend on the car to start and not leave me hanging.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By D from D

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Originally was going to get an '02 4-Runner but the Highlander had better interior space and ride. Changing my mind was the best purchase decision I ever made. I now have 114,000 miles with ZERO repairs, just maintenance when it's due. The 'check engine' light came on once and it was due to a vacuum hose coming loose. Correct that in about 10 minutes. Replaced that original battery after 8 years even though it was still working fine even at -10 degrees, figured I would really be pushing my luck by going longer than that. Still running with original suspension components and rear brakes. Front brakes have been replaced once and the rotors resurfaced. Wish I had gotten auto-dim mirror

Favorite Features

Reliability, ride comfort, reliability, interior space, reliability, handling, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Love my Highlander!
By nashvillegirl

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 dark green 4 cyl Highlander new, and it now has 353,800 miles on it! We have replaced the catalytic converters, A/C knob, and just recently, the timing chain. The car still looks great inside and out. When (if!) it ever dies, I'll buy another one. We have always owned Toyotas because they are so dependable and low-maintenance, but this is the best one ever.

Bad Engine!
By jbass5

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander four years ago and have loved it til now. It seems there are a batch of Toyota 6cyl engines with bad valve seals. Toyota was repairing these engines until 2010. They absolve themselves after a vehicle is 8 years old. We bought our Highlander in 2010 with only 87000mi. It now has 133000mi. Now in the last six months the engine consumes large quantities of oil. The symptom of these engines with bad seals is they consume oil when driven at highway speeds. A service mgr at the local Toyota dealer confirmed this valve seal problem when I described the pattern of oil consumption, a $2700. repair at the dealer if it is still repairable! the six seals cost $6 each!

Favorite Features

AWD is awesome in winter, Comfortable interior.