Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

A mix of strong and weak points
By Dave N.

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My lease on this Highlander runs out soon and I am undecided whether I should buy it, or turn it in. It's been very reliable, with one odd recurring problem: if you don't tighten the gas cap completely, a light comes on to indicate a problem with the emission controls. To get it reset, you have to take the vehicle to a dealer! It is heavy and feels ponderous. Fuel efficiency (19 mpg) is OK for a two-ton vehicle, but acceleration is mediocre even with the V6. The seats are not very comfortable on long trips. The controls on the steering column are confusing at night. The deep, narrow console between the front seats is horrible; stuff at the bottom is impossible to reach!

Favorite Features

Reliable, fairly roomy, decent cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the center storage console! Move some controls from steering column to dashboard.

Worth the $$$$$
By gene-n-vonda

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many different vehicles, mostly american made, but this was my 1st non-american made vehicle, and should I add... BY FAR the BEST of ALL!! I am sold on my Toyota. Great mileage, freat ride & handling & gives me the SUV look & room that I love. What more could you ask for?

Favorite Features

Mileage, looks, handling, ride & the snow button is awesom! I love everything about it!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe more towing capacity.

I love my Highlander
By Dave

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my car for transition to retirement. I was a financial advisor and always drove cars that were less than 3 years old. This one was for work and retirement. It is now five years old and I am going for ten. It is maintenance free. I carry kayaks on the top, paddles inside, use it to take stuff to the dump, and use it to take my wife to nice functions. In fact, I am using it to drive a candidate for Comptroller of the whole state of CT. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Ease of converting from sedan to wagon to haul stuff to the dump. Rack.

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid for all models of Highlander.

Would've been good. Should've.
By LostRealist

2002 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good car, but it does have problems. I don't know if we got a lemon, or if this is just the way this car is. We bought this car new, and since then have only put 45,000 miles on it. The engine is very noisy now, which can't be due to a bad driver. The family member that drives this is very gentle with it, making no use of the 200-some hp engine. Gas mileage is pretty poor for a Toyota, even if it is an SUV. Had to replace the blower fan and motor for the a/c 3 times already. It's starting to go out again. Original brakes are still on it and even though they don't need to be replaced anytime soon, they still emit a soft high-pitched sqeal.

Favorite Features

Cargo space (didn't get the 3-row seats), audio system, the V6 241-hp engine, AWD

Suggested Improvements

fix the problem with a/c, brakes, little more comfort wouldn't hurt, WAY better gas mileage (this is a toyota, SUV or not, should get gas mileage like a toyota, especially if it's build on a camry chassis)

still lovin it after 4 years
By colette

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

the comfort, reliability and reasonable gas mileage (avg. 18 mpg around town) makes this vehicle perfect for a single person or small family. i would not hesitate to by a newer model in say, 8- 10 years!

Favorite Features

console, drives like a car, nice cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

brighter back-up lights for nite time driving. i hit a dark-colored car at nite because of the dark tinted windows.