2002 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Great choice for midsize SUV
By Ben on 10/06/05 18:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This SUV drives like a car but has cargo like an SUV. Smooth on the road and I have the 4 cyl 2wd model that gets great gas mileage for an SUV. Handles great.

Reliable, Unobtrusive - A True Toyota
By NJWesterner on 07/14/05 10:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car based SUV. No mechanical issues after 61,000 miles. Comfortable and quiet on long drives. Lots of cargo room, and good mpg for an SUV - average 18 mpg city, 24 mpg highway. Reliable, unobtrusive, a bit boring -- exactly why one buys a Toyota. Expect this Highlander to last 200,000 plus miles.

Wonderful SUV
By Eric on 05/26/05 14:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding after nearly 3 years, not even a blip. Smooth, fast and quiet. The hybrid is coming out next month (June 05) which will put Highlander in a league of it's own.

Highlander 4 Matrix
By Highlander on 04/03/05 04:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The best of all is I can make turn on highway while driving 65 mph without braking and need not to worry about flip over. In the snow just hit the snow button and elec control will take over.

Solid and durable...
By Scottywsly on 01/07/05 19:54 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a pleasing to drive near luxury car based SUV. Has been 100% reliable. My only wish is that gas mileage was greater, and styling is a bit more sporty.

SUV that drives like a Car
By I500X on 11/27/04 02:46 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven a few cars of similar size and type. They don't compare to this car's performance! The Highlander has great handling that gives the driver a nice feel for the road.. the steering is sharp.. the acceleration is good.. the brakes are excellent! The interior is pretty solid.. the only complaints i have is that it gets noisy at high speeds and the sound system could be better. I've been using the Highlander for trips, moving boxes/furniture, moving heavy materials, and everyday use! It's very useful to have a larger car but the Highlander is not so large that it becomes bulky. It still feels like a car, rather than the truck (unlike the 4Runner).

better than expected
By Easy on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice car/truck...it rides smooth,intuitive controls,no squeeks or rattles only wind noise at speeds above 50-mph.Overall the quality is so good I wish I could afford a new limited. I had leather installed after market on the seats ,doors and steering wheel,and added a chrome exhast tip and front tinted windows.The original black paint has held up nicely as well as the factory alloys.This is my 3rd Toyota,I traded in an 03 Corolla LE with 45k miles for the Highlander with no regrets .After years of GM product abuse (98 Intrigue-99 Aurora excluded)I will only buy Toyotas until I can afford the Lexus line of cars and trucks...(ps)The Highlander looks great next to my black 02 Camry SE V6

Angela' s review
By bapdj on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Highlander is family friendly and reliable.

Nearly perfect car w/ couple small flaws
By Vincentseye on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Primarily my wife's round-town ride, she loves it is 5'4" and 115 lbs. I like it very much except on our 300 mile road trips the seats are a little small for me 6'2" 180 lbs. Reliable, rattle free. Can't drive over 20mph with rear windows down, messes your ears up...get the kids to shut up though! I would have bought one for me if the seat was not so small. Rear seat room is excellent for kids and adults.

First Japanese built vehicle
By Phil K on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been very reliable. Gas mileage (4cyl) has been as rated without A/C, one mile less with. Paint/clearcoat seems a little softer than previous vehicle(non-Toyota).