Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great SUV
By Great SUV

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Coming up on 120,000. I guess I'll get a tune-up. Every time I take it to the dealer they say it's fine. Replaced the brakes once and had a ball bearing replaced. Other than that, it runs great. Husband bought me a new VW CC as an early Christmas gift - but I can't give up this SUV, so he'll have to take the new car. I know this sounds crazy -- but why replace it if it's running great!!! Plus it has more room and can haul more.

Favorite Features

Interior is in excellent condition. Leather wears great. Easy to clean. Runs pretty quiet. No complaints from me.

Suggested Improvements

None

Nice
By Great

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle for my wife to cart around our 2 boys and already love it. Compared to newer American vehicles we test drove, it was built much, MUCH better. I hope it gives us the longevity others say they have. We bought with 50k miles... how sad to say that this vehicle in the test drive had a better ride to it than the 09 American vehicles we test drove? GREAT resale value as well. No junk vehicle here!

Favorite Features

Great for my petite wife. Not too big, not too small. VERY impressed with the leg clearance in the backseat. Thought it was going to much smaller, love the fold down seats, plenty of room in the front. We aren't knocking elbows when both my wife and I are in vehicle together.

Suggested Improvements

None as of now.

GREAT S.U.V.
By robert henry

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this suv brand new in 2002, I just replaced timing belt, did not need too, belts, hoses, fluids, sparkplugs at 90,000, replaced brake pads at 70,000 overall this is the best s. U. V. We bought. My wife will not give this one up.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, safety, looks

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise at highway speeds,

Used 2002s Are Awesome!!
By mechanicsrule923

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I currently own two 2002 models - one with 110,000 miles, the other with 170,000. And they're still perfect! Toyota did it right with these models. The interior is still modern by today's standards. And the 3.0L V6 is a beast! It runs so smoothly and quietly; and yet it is extremely powerful and responsive. We've never had a problem - no leaks, no noises, no dysfunctions. I've replaced typical parts: tires, air filters, oil, bulbs, etc. and it runs like new! The parts are easy to find and cheap, too! My other cars are at least $60,000 each; but the $14,000 I spent on each of these Highlanders was much better spent! If you find one, buy it!

Favorite Features

Reliable engine, quiet and modern interior, durable parts, great fuel economy - even for a V6!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any - Toyota did it right that year (2002)!

Disappointed long time Toyota owner
By JoesHomeWorkshop

2002 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle started out OK with no issues. By the time 70,000 miles rolled around we had unending engine light problems which the dealer kept "fixing" by running "calibration". This held for a few months at a time until the emissions warranty ran out. Then a "surprise" quote to the tune of $1,000 for catalytic converter job! At 104,000 miles the vehicle came to a literal "grinding" halt with a $4,000 transmission repair quote from a dealer. Took it an independent reputable tranny shop that found a pinion gear roll pin that had not been installed right at the factory, had backed out and caused damage to the transmission. Claim to Toyota did nothing. I had better luck with my other Toyotas.

Favorite Features

Good in snow. Other than problems above no issues.

Suggested Improvements

Quality has obviously slipped since my 1986 Celica that seem to run and run. I hope Toyota is reading this. I may now have to look elsewhere for the next vehicle.