2002 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Reliable
By Brooke on 08/15/10 08:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. In its 106K miles and counting, I've never had to do a single mechanical repair on it. Just brakes and tires! It's fully loaded and has all the bells and whistles I need. Drives smoothly, corners well and has plenty of cargo room. It's comfortable too. I miss my arm rest when I drive my husband's car or a rental.

Excellent, quiet and reliable
By RS on 07/29/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car still rides quiet (make sure to use quiet riding tires), has had very few problems that required any major work. Gives 18 city, 22 highway in Summers at speed limit. Take 10% off in CT winters. My car was built in Japan. Only brakes and scheduled maintenance work have been needed. Had engine check light come on after maintenance, but mechanic reset it at no charge. Battery needed change after 6 years. On the negative side, I the old tires wore out unevenly. Now I get them aligned annually. Great SUV. Will buy again if mileage is improved significantly without too much loss of power. This SUV still looks modern in styling and finish.

Love My Toyota
By Rick on 04/11/10 11:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this with 15,000 miles on it and it has 116,000 on it now and never had any problems with it, I guess its time to change the plugs other than that, I will be looking for a newer one soon and getting a nice resale on this one.

Grear Car
By DG on 03/11/10 04:20 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Highlander as certified used with 17k in 2003. Great reliability. Highly recommend if looking for dependable transportation with limited servicing. Would buy another.

Problem Solved Early
By Dene on 02/06/10 16:44 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After owning the car a few years, my check engine light would come on and go off. The service manager recommended that I do the cat. converter because it seemed that it was going out and I only had about 15,000 miles before my warranty was up. I think this is problem with some of the Highlanders. And yes, the heater/air is acting up.

Great SUV
By Great SUV on 12/08/09 13:53 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Coming up on 120,000. I guess I'll get a tune-up. Every time I take it to the dealer they say it's fine. Replaced the brakes once and had a ball bearing replaced. Other than that, it runs great. Husband bought me a new VW CC as an early Christmas gift - but I can't give up this SUV, so he'll have to take the new car. I know this sounds crazy -- but why replace it if it's running great!!! Plus it has more room and can haul more.

Nice
By Great on 06/19/09 06:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle for my wife to cart around our 2 boys and already love it. Compared to newer American vehicles we test drove, it was built much, MUCH better. I hope it gives us the longevity others say they have. We bought with 50k miles... how sad to say that this vehicle in the test drive had a better ride to it than the 09 American vehicles we test drove? GREAT resale value as well. No junk vehicle here!

GREAT S.U.V.
By robert henry on 03/01/09 09:31 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this suv brand new in 2002, I just replaced timing belt, did not need too, belts, hoses, fluids, sparkplugs at 90,000, replaced brake pads at 70,000 overall this is the best s. U. V. We bought. My wife will not give this one up.

Used 2002s Are Awesome!!
By mechanicsrule923 on 02/12/09 17:02 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I currently own two 2002 models - one with 110,000 miles, the other with 170,000. And they're still perfect! Toyota did it right with these models. The interior is still modern by today's standards. And the 3.0L V6 is a beast! It runs so smoothly and quietly; and yet it is extremely powerful and responsive. We've never had a problem - no leaks, no noises, no dysfunctions. I've replaced typical parts: tires, air filters, oil, bulbs, etc. and it runs like new! The parts are easy to find and cheap, too! My other cars are at least $60,000 each; but the $14,000 I spent on each of these Highlanders was much better spent! If you find one, buy it!

Disappointed long time Toyota owner
By JoesHomeWorkshop on 01/16/09 13:11 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle started out OK with no issues. By the time 70,000 miles rolled around we had unending engine light problems which the dealer kept "fixing" by running "calibration". This held for a few months at a time until the emissions warranty ran out. Then a "surprise" quote to the tune of $1,000 for catalytic converter job! At 104,000 miles the vehicle came to a literal "grinding" halt with a $4,000 transmission repair quote from a dealer. Took it an independent reputable tranny shop that found a pinion gear roll pin that had not been installed right at the factory, had backed out and caused damage to the transmission. Claim to Toyota did nothing. I had better luck with my other Toyotas.