Used 2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Love my Highlander!
By nashvillegirl

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 dark green 4 cyl Highlander new, and it now has 353,800 miles on it!
We have replaced the catalytic converters, A/C knob, and just recently, the timing chain. The car still looks great inside and out.
When (if!) it ever dies, I'll buy another one. We have always owned Toyotas because they are so dependable and low-maintenance, but this is the best one ever.

200k Miles on Mine!
By virginiagirl1

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2002 and now have 200,000 miles on it, which to me is amazing.
I've owned a couple of Toyotas in the past (Celica, Corolla, Camry), but this one has lasted the longest.
No problems except AC knob broke last year and cost $900 to repair/replace (had to remove dash to replace a knob?
That doesn't make sense to me).
I know it's on borrowed time, so am looking to replace soon....Also own a 2008 HL limited, but I like this "original" better.

reliability, low maintenance, place for purse (or whatever) between front seats.

wind noise, fuel efficiency

wish I was impressed
By mel4reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

132K miles and second time it's the catalytic converter. Additionally, for a 4-cyl, I should really get better gas mileage. Need to go back to a different maker. My first and ONLY Toyota.

Solid vehicle
By Jim

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Highlander has been driven mostly around town, with at least one long drive (1,000+ miles) each year. Other than oil changes and normal recommended maintenance, I have not spent a dime (new tires at 39K miles).

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By D from D

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Originally was going to get an '02 4-Runner but the Highlander had better interior space and ride. Changing my mind was the best purchase decision I ever made. I now have 114,000 miles with ZERO repairs, just maintenance when it's due. The 'check engine' light came on once and it was due to a vacuum hose coming loose. Correct that in about 10 minutes. Replaced that original battery after 8 years even though it was still working fine even at -10 degrees, figured I would really be pushing my luck by going longer than that. Still running with original suspension components and rear brakes. Front brakes have been replaced once and the rotors resurfaced. Wish I had gotten auto-dim mirror

Reliability, ride comfort, reliability, interior space, reliability, handling, reliability.