Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Toyota Highlander Is an Excellent SUV
By dshimmel

2002 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife uses this vehicle for work driving about 130 miles a day and is totally in love with it. It is a comfortable and reliable vehicle. It has had no maintenance problems in its first year only a rattle in the console that is uneconomical to correct. She intends to get another one in 2004.

4 wheel dirve, leather seats, CD player and power driver's seat and large cargo capacity when the rear seats are folded down.

Toyota should make fog light available on the standard model not only the limited edition.

Great Handler!
By rfrank

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only problem I have is the sound system. It is the worst of the worst! My steering wheel was also off-center when driving down a straight stretch of road.

Handling is great! Fun to drive. My wife is "picky" about vehicles and she loves our Highlander!

Sound system needs an overhaul!

Great for our needs for under $24,000
By Joe M

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We needed more room for yearly trips to Florida. We knew we had to look into an SUV for more room. The compact SUVs were cheap, but just too small. The midsize SUVs were out of our price range, until we found the Highlander. After driving it we knew it was the vehicle for us. We purchased a base model 4 cyl with a few minor upgrades. Let me tell you, this is great vehicle. It has everything you need. The 4 cly 2 WD FWD is great on snow covered roads and the engine has plenty of power for normal driving with the benefit of 22- 27 mpg. If you don't go off road and your looking for a vehicle for more room and a low price this one can't be beat.

Great on gas, Toyota quality and reliability, standard features, price and cargo space

Minor things. Not all the buttons light up when lights go on. Rear window should open w/o opening the door

Very Overrated
By ggilliom

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We've owned a Highlander for about a year and a half, and overall, I'm disappointed. I hate the soft steering - it's hard to drive straight at highway speeds. And it's not very quiet at high speeds. If you put down *any* window, you get the vibration/roar people talk about. The seats are unsupportive, and the seat bottoms are very short. I'm 6-feet tall, and my back aches after driving for more than an hour. Nearly as bad as my wife's old RAV-4. The stock stereo is TERRIBLE. The back tonneau cover is heavy and badly designed -- must be handled *very* carefully to avoid bumping/scratching the interior or cargo. Lousy dealer, too.

Driving height is nice. Attractive exterior. Reliable.

Seats are very unsupportive, fit and finish is substandard, cheapo base stereo (and antenna!), impossible tonneau cover

Kick Booty Vehicle
By Rainn14322

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I went from a FordExplorer to a Rav 4 to this, all new. I will not give this vehicle up for the world. It fits 3 car seats comfy in the back and rides like a car. It is so quiet i can hear my kids breathing. I had the basic package installed from port than put in extras myself, it was cheaper, i added playstaystion 2, dvd, tv's, roof rack, mud guards, roof rack, alarm, tint. Wouldn't change it for the worl. My sister bought one the week later and my mom the Seqouia TRd edition. We are now all Toyota Lovers. :)

Upgraded DVD/Playstation that my husband installed, he works at the dealership. Radio is awesome. Most of all I love the armrest while on long drives. PERFECT

None at all,