Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Limited SUV Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great car! Original owner
By Stacy

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car! original owner...Wish it had 3rd row seats...the newer models do. I am looking at upgrading to a newer model of the same car, so that tell you how great of a car. I probably will not trade in or resale this one though.

Great SUV
By Phil Rodriguez

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the car in October 2015. Very excellent ride. I had some maintenance issues due to the person who I bought it from did not drive the vehicle that much. I feel that it is worth the value since I purchased it for $5000.00 dollars and it only had 54,000 miles on it. Love my Toyota😀

Endless Rattling
By Highlander2002

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had bought this car used at a local dealership with 10k miles on it. After a few months, I had started to notice some minor rattling coming from the trunk area. I had brought it back to the dealership and they claimed to have replaced some clips. Still rattles. A few months later, I bought it to another dealership for the recall and again complained about the rattle. They added some foam, but the noise is still there. Over the years, more rattling started to appear from the dash and trunk. It's beginning to sound like my old 1984 Supra. At least the car is reliable. Hasn't broken down once.

Comfortable seating and large trunk space. Easy to read/use dashboard controls.

Fix the rattling and stiffen the suspension slightly.

An '02... 60K+... & still bulletproof.
By Chandler S

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replacing our '95 4Runner (purchased new) was our '02 Highlander (purchased new - 3.0l V6 4x2). Occupants appreciate the comfortable and plush interior. The Camry-based ride is tight and refined. The original 16" Goodyears were just replaced @ 60K (with same). Absolutely NO mechanical problems to date. An extremely sure-footed vehicle (further enhanced with VSC) in foul weather. Much easier to park/maneuver than a larger SUV. I would describe the exterior styling as modestly elegant. We experience 23 mpg in mixed driving, approaching 30 mpg hwy. Overall, an excellent value.

VSC, front seat comfort, rear seat space (these even recline). Bonus feature - resultant peace of mind. It's good to know that when the weather gets bad - my wife is safe in the Highlander.

Improve access to oil filter (contortionism a plus here); improve channeling of old oil from filter region (gets messy); improve oil fill rate (presently limited).

Super SUV
By CAROLINAS

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We wanted a SUV style vehicle to
replace a Conversion Van. Researched
SUV's for quality, design, ride. Also,
talked to other with SUV's. The
Highlander Limited came out ahead. I'm
not into off road stuff so a "car-ish"
rather than a "truck-ish" ride was,
and has been, the best solution for
me. My 2002 Highland was purchased
used with a Toyota Used Car
Certification check. Have had no
problems and enjoy driving it in the
city and on the highway. I'd do it all
over again with Toyota.

Ride, plenty of acceleration, materials and quality.

A couple power recepticals near back seats. Easier to see clock and odometer. Upgrade heat/air conditioning automation.