Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Endless Rattling
By Highlander2002

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had bought this car used at a local dealership with 10k miles on it. After a few months, I had started to notice some minor rattling coming from the trunk area. I had brought it back to the dealership and they claimed to have replaced some clips. Still rattles. A few months later, I bought it to another dealership for the recall and again complained about the rattle. They added some foam, but the noise is still there. Over the years, more rattling started to appear from the dash and trunk. It's beginning to sound like my old 1984 Supra. At least the car is reliable. Hasn't broken down once.

Comfortable seating and large trunk space. Easy to read/use dashboard controls.

Fix the rattling and stiffen the suspension slightly.

An '02... 60K+... & still bulletproof.
By Chandler S

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replacing our '95 4Runner (purchased new) was our '02 Highlander (purchased new - 3.0l V6 4x2). Occupants appreciate the comfortable and plush interior. The Camry-based ride is tight and refined. The original 16" Goodyears were just replaced @ 60K (with same). Absolutely NO mechanical problems to date. An extremely sure-footed vehicle (further enhanced with VSC) in foul weather. Much easier to park/maneuver than a larger SUV. I would describe the exterior styling as modestly elegant. We experience 23 mpg in mixed driving, approaching 30 mpg hwy. Overall, an excellent value.

VSC, front seat comfort, rear seat space (these even recline). Bonus feature - resultant peace of mind. It's good to know that when the weather gets bad - my wife is safe in the Highlander.

Improve access to oil filter (contortionism a plus here); improve channeling of old oil from filter region (gets messy); improve oil fill rate (presently limited).

Super SUV
By CAROLINAS

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We wanted a SUV style vehicle to replace a Conversion Van. Researched SUV's for quality, design, ride. Also, talked to other with SUV's. The Highlander Limited came out ahead. I'm not into off road stuff so a "car-ish" rather than a "truck-ish" ride was, and has been, the best solution for me. My 2002 Highland was purchased used with a Toyota Used Car Certification check. Have had no problems and enjoy driving it in the city and on the highway. I'd do it all over again with Toyota.

Ride, plenty of acceleration, materials and quality.

A couple power recepticals near back seats. Easier to see clock and odometer. Upgrade heat/air conditioning automation.

Good Runner
By Geoff S

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A good running solid to the road feel vehicle with quite reasonable fuel economy. Why is there no power seat on the passenger side? No defect complaints. Driven a # of different Crossover type vehicles and this one beats them all in comfort and ride. The Big three needs to match this quality.

Climate Control, V6 has enough power vs fuel economy.

Interior noise from tires (better wheel well damping) is loud on highway (AZ). You cannot turn off daylight runners (Drive In Movies/Stargazing trips). Clear coat should be more durable.

WOW! Was I impressed.
By Apollo_Johnw

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If I go into all the items that I like about this car, you would think that I was working for the company. My job has me on the road a lot, so I see many driving conditions on and off the highway. Ride for the Highlander is fabulous. Road noise is kept to a minimum. Handling is excellent. Turning radius compares to a much smaller vehicle. Stereo in the Limited is wonderful for roadtrips or intown cruising. Seat positioning is outstanding for heights of 5'0-6'0. Rear legroom is incredible.

My favorite feature in the Limited Highlander is the temperature control.

The wife and I agree that a larger low- fuel indicator would be nice. On the 02 model, there's a small orange light that turns on when the fuel level is low. The current size may be easy to ignore.