2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Keeps going
By mdr000069 on 01/08/14 18:59 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 72,000 miles on it. I have 130,000 with no major problems. Get around 23 MPG over all. Runs good for only having a 4 cyl. I would buy another.

Love my Highlander!
By nashvillegirl on 01/25/13 08:47 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 dark green 4 cyl Highlander new, and it now has 353,800 miles on it! We have replaced the catalytic converters, A/C knob, and just recently, the timing chain. The car still looks great inside and out. When (if!) it ever dies, I'll buy another one. We have always owned Toyotas because they are so dependable and low-maintenance, but this is the best one ever.

wish I was impressed
By mel4reviews on 03/14/11 20:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

132K miles and second time it's the catalytic converter. Additionally, for a 4-cyl, I should really get better gas mileage. Need to go back to a different maker. My first and ONLY Toyota.

New to toyota
By debb/rud on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First let me say I didn't want this car but we bought it because it was in our price range. It had 77,000 miles when purchased. I am happy to say it grew on me over the past 2 yrs. Great fuel usage (400+ to the tank), low maintenance cost and reliability. Ours has 135,000 miles and the drivetrain is still strong! I have the 4 cylinder And it drives like a six cylinder Interior is durable and shows very little wear (even with the dogs) easy to clean and the paint still looks good.

Love My Toyota
By Rick on 04/11/10 11:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this with 15,000 miles on it and it has 116,000 on it now and never had any problems with it, I guess its time to change the plugs other than that, I will be looking for a newer one soon and getting a nice resale on this one.

Problem Solved Early
By Dene on 02/06/10 16:44 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After owning the car a few years, my check engine light would come on and go off. The service manager recommended that I do the cat. converter because it seemed that it was going out and I only had about 15,000 miles before my warranty was up. I think this is problem with some of the Highlanders. And yes, the heater/air is acting up.

Nice
By Great on 06/19/09 06:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle for my wife to cart around our 2 boys and already love it. Compared to newer American vehicles we test drove, it was built much, MUCH better. I hope it gives us the longevity others say they have. We bought with 50k miles... how sad to say that this vehicle in the test drive had a better ride to it than the 09 American vehicles we test drove? GREAT resale value as well. No junk vehicle here!

5.5 years and still loving it!
By Gerri on 10/08/07 09:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I originally bought this car, my first Toyota, because it was rated #1 in Advanced Safety (the lighted running boards were a plus too!). Over 77,000 miles later, it still gets 22 mpg around town, 26 mpg on road trips and I've only had to replace the tires at 56,000. No other expense except for oil changes every 3,000 miles. That emissions light does come on with the gas cap issue, but I just let it stay on. Cargo compartment more than adequate for my needs -- 400 lbs of chicken feed and two bales of hay on the luggage racks on top! Back seat comfortably seats three if you need to. I just had it detailed so it is brand new all over again and I couldn't ask for a better, more dependable car

I love my Highlander
By Dave on 11/01/06 04:53 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my car for transition to retirement. I was a financial advisor and always drove cars that were less than 3 years old. This one was for work and retirement. It is now five years old and I am going for ten. It is maintenance free. I carry kayaks on the top, paddles inside, use it to take stuff to the dump, and use it to take my wife to nice functions. In fact, I am using it to drive a candidate for Comptroller of the whole state of CT. I love this car.

still lovin it after 4 years
By colette on 09/23/06 04:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

the comfort, reliability and reasonable gas mileage (avg. 18 mpg around town) makes this vehicle perfect for a single person or small family. i would not hesitate to by a newer model in say, 8- 10 years!