Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 223 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great car! Original owner
By Stacy

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car! original owner...Wish it had 3rd row seats...the newer models do. I am looking at upgrading to a newer model of the same car, so that tell you how great of a car. I probably will not trade in or resale this one though.

Great SUV
By Phil Rodriguez

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the car in October 2015. Very excellent ride. I had some maintenance issues due to the person who I bought it from did not drive the vehicle that much. I feel that it is worth the value since I purchased it for $5000.00 dollars and it only had 54,000 miles on it. Love my Toyota😀

Bad Engine!
By jbass5

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander four years ago and have loved it til now. It seems there are a batch of Toyota 6cyl engines with bad valve seals. Toyota was repairing these engines until 2010. They absolve themselves after a vehicle is 8 years old. We bought our Highlander in 2010 with only 87000mi. It now has 133000mi. Now in the last six months the engine consumes large quantities of oil. The symptom of these engines with bad seals is they consume oil when driven at highway speeds. A service mgr at the local Toyota dealer
confirmed this valve seal problem when I described the pattern of oil consumption, a $2700. repair at the dealer if it is still repairable! the six seals cost $6 each!

AWD is awesome in winter, Comfortable interior.

Keeps going
By mdr000069

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 72,000 miles on it. I have 130,000 with no major problems. Get around 23 MPG over all. Runs good for only having a 4 cyl. I would buy another.

MPG for an SUV. Very reliable.

The thermostat control has a problem that is known by Toyota, but they don't fix for free. Sometimes it will stop the AC from coming on. Check it before you buy since to replace I heard is around $900.

Love my Highlander!
By nashvillegirl

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 dark green 4 cyl Highlander new, and it now has 353,800 miles on it!
We have replaced the catalytic converters, A/C knob, and just recently, the timing chain. The car still looks great inside and out.
When (if!) it ever dies, I'll buy another one. We have always owned Toyotas because they are so dependable and low-maintenance, but this is the best one ever.