2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Bad Engine!
By jbass5 on 01/25/14 10:20 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander four years ago and have loved it til now. It seems there are a batch of Toyota 6cyl engines with bad valve seals. Toyota was repairing these engines until 2010. They absolve themselves after a vehicle is 8 years old. We bought our Highlander in 2010 with only 87000mi. It now has 133000mi. Now in the last six months the engine consumes large quantities of oil. The symptom of these engines with bad seals is they consume oil when driven at highway speeds. A service mgr at the local Toyota dealer confirmed this valve seal problem when I described the pattern of oil consumption, a $2700. repair at the dealer if it is still repairable! the six seals cost $6 each!

Keeps going
By mdr000069 on 01/08/14 18:59 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 72,000 miles on it. I have 130,000 with no major problems. Get around 23 MPG over all. Runs good for only having a 4 cyl. I would buy another.

Love my Highlander!
By nashvillegirl on 01/25/13 08:47 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 dark green 4 cyl Highlander new, and it now has 353,800 miles on it! We have replaced the catalytic converters, A/C knob, and just recently, the timing chain. The car still looks great inside and out. When (if!) it ever dies, I'll buy another one. We have always owned Toyotas because they are so dependable and low-maintenance, but this is the best one ever.

200k Miles on Mine!
By virginiagirl1 on 07/07/12 04:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2002 and now have 200,000 miles on it, which to me is amazing. I've owned a couple of Toyotas in the past (Celica, Corolla, Camry), but this one has lasted the longest. No problems except AC knob broke last year and cost $900 to repair/replace (had to remove dash to replace a knob? That doesn't make sense to me). I know it's on borrowed time, so am looking to replace soon....Also own a 2008 HL limited, but I like this "original" better.

wish I was impressed
By mel4reviews on 03/14/11 20:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

132K miles and second time it's the catalytic converter. Additionally, for a 4-cyl, I should really get better gas mileage. Need to go back to a different maker. My first and ONLY Toyota.

Solid vehicle
By Jim on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Highlander has been driven mostly around town, with at least one long drive (1,000+ miles) each year. Other than oil changes and normal recommended maintenance, I have not spent a dime (new tires at 39K miles).

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By D from D on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Originally was going to get an '02 4-Runner but the Highlander had better interior space and ride. Changing my mind was the best purchase decision I ever made. I now have 114,000 miles with ZERO repairs, just maintenance when it's due. The 'check engine' light came on once and it was due to a vacuum hose coming loose. Correct that in about 10 minutes. Replaced that original battery after 8 years even though it was still working fine even at -10 degrees, figured I would really be pushing my luck by going longer than that. Still running with original suspension components and rear brakes. Front brakes have been replaced once and the rotors resurfaced. Wish I had gotten auto-dim mirror

New to toyota
By debb/rud on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First let me say I didn't want this car but we bought it because it was in our price range. It had 77,000 miles when purchased. I am happy to say it grew on me over the past 2 yrs. Great fuel usage (400+ to the tank), low maintenance cost and reliability. Ours has 135,000 miles and the drivetrain is still strong! I have the 4 cylinder And it drives like a six cylinder Interior is durable and shows very little wear (even with the dogs) easy to clean and the paint still looks good.

I thought Toyotas were some of the best
By ecbuzz on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the vehicle. It fit me to a "T". After owning it for about 1 1/2 years I started having problems with skipping. After several mechanics looking at it, I took it to a transmission man and he found a ball bearing had broken and ground up in the transmission so I had to replace it. He said he's has several Toyotas with the same thing. In 2010 it started loosing oil but couldn't find where. The third mechanic found it had a broken oil ring on the #1 cylinder and needs a new motor. So much for Toyota.

Simply Irresistable!
By toyota girl on 08/29/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a wonderful car. I bought mine brand new and I now have 79,000 miles on it. It has never needed anything other than a new battery and one new set of tires. I changed my tires to Toyo as I think they handle better. I treat my cars good and have the oil changed every 3,000 miles. It looks great, but better yet it runs great. That's the thing about Toyota's. They just run. I hate cars that break down constantly on the side of the road, and it's never even a consideration with this car. I expect to have some expense around 90,000. Timing chain and anything else it needs. I did have the front brakes done recently. Buy this car! You won't regret it.