Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Bad Engine!
By jbass5

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander four years ago and have loved it til now. It seems there are a batch of Toyota 6cyl engines with bad valve seals. Toyota was repairing these engines until 2010. They absolve themselves after a vehicle is 8 years old. We bought our Highlander in 2010 with only 87000mi. It now has 133000mi. Now in the last six months the engine consumes large quantities of oil. The symptom of these engines with bad seals is they consume oil when driven at highway speeds. A service mgr at the local Toyota dealer confirmed this valve seal problem when I described the pattern of oil consumption, a $2700. repair at the dealer if it is still repairable! the six seals cost $6 each!

Favorite Features

AWD is awesome in winter, Comfortable interior.

Keeps going
By mdr000069

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 72,000 miles on it. I have 130,000 with no major problems. Get around 23 MPG over all. Runs good for only having a 4 cyl. I would buy another.

Favorite Features

MPG for an SUV. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The thermostat control has a problem that is known by Toyota, but they don't fix for free. Sometimes it will stop the AC from coming on. Check it before you buy since to replace I heard is around $900.

Love my Highlander!
By nashvillegirl

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 dark green 4 cyl Highlander new, and it now has 353,800 miles on it! We have replaced the catalytic converters, A/C knob, and just recently, the timing chain. The car still looks great inside and out. When (if!) it ever dies, I'll buy another one. We have always owned Toyotas because they are so dependable and low-maintenance, but this is the best one ever.

200k Miles on Mine!
By virginiagirl1

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2002 and now have 200,000 miles on it, which to me is amazing. I've owned a couple of Toyotas in the past (Celica, Corolla, Camry), but this one has lasted the longest. No problems except AC knob broke last year and cost $900 to repair/replace (had to remove dash to replace a knob? That doesn't make sense to me). I know it's on borrowed time, so am looking to replace soon....Also own a 2008 HL limited, but I like this "original" better.

Favorite Features

reliability, low maintenance, place for purse (or whatever) between front seats.

Suggested Improvements

wind noise, fuel efficiency

wish I was impressed
By mel4reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

132K miles and second time it's the catalytic converter. Additionally, for a 4-cyl, I should really get better gas mileage. Need to go back to a different maker. My first and ONLY Toyota.