2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Lemon or Bad Luck???

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Lemon or Bad Luck???

2001 Toyota Highlander 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2001. As much as I would love to say how great this SUV is, it isn't!!! I do however love everything about it except it's reliability. Soon after the warranty ran out the engine began to have problems with the check oil light coming on when I checked the oil (which was changed very regularly more often than recommended) it was completely dry on dipstick. Took it to local Toyota dealer to check for "sludge" as far as they could tell none noted hum! Continued to drive and add oil before & after long trips. Not leaking just lots of white smoke. Last week check engine light came on probably need new engine or valve seals? In the shop now. Very disappointed!!

I love everything about this SUV. Very roomy, more than most bigger SUVs. I wish I could say I would buy another one but with expensive engine problems can't say as I will!

Cup holders for driver/passenger very cheap need improvement
By jfahlmann
on 12/14/10 09:28 AM (PST)

Thank you for posting. Two months ago I bought a 2001 Hilander Limited Edition from a very good friend who kept it in mint condition. It has only 47 thousand miles on it. Within a month I heard a noise and checked the oil which was completely empty. THe light never came on but I realized it was going through a lot of oil and have been filling it each week. I was told it is the rings in the motor. How did you make out? I am going for a second opinion but it looks like it will cost a bunch no matter what the problem. I cannot believe this happened within a month of purchasing it. Thank you, Julie