2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Best I've Owned So Far

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Review

Best I've Owned So Far
By 56rascal on

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We shopped around for an SUV or Van to tow our new tent trailer, and we looked at the Tribute, Pathfinder, XTerra, Liberty, Sienna, and possibly the Odyssey (which was selling above MSRP at the time). One night we came close to getting an offer on a Liberty, but to our great fortune the dealership wasn't seriously negociating. So we, on a lark, tried the Highlander, and I just about fell out the seat when I drove it. It was just out of our top price range, but there was no doubt about getting one. Within 24 hours we made a reasonable deal considering it was new to the market. Then within a week we took it on a 9,000 mile road trip around the US.

This SUV is car-like, smooth shifting, enough power to handle the family and trailer easily and comfortable. We got everything except leather and heated seats. The kids really appreciated the extra room in the back, and I liked being able to load 4 suitcases plus a guitar in the back.

Don't buy it if you need to seat 6 or more. The cup holders could have been better (a minor quibble at best). The rear window is fixed.