Used 2001 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

120K and going strong
By Anne

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used 12/03 w/27K miles; now just over 120,000, & though overdue a major check-up & first tune-up, I've had few problems. Mileage still avgs. 20-21 mpg & might improve a bit once tuned. Except for routine maint., have only had to replace some sort of emissions sensor. Ck engine light came on a few times at first, but once I realized it was always right after oil change, & they weren't reconnecting an air hose properly after ckg the air filter, I always warn them about it, & it hasn't happened since. Htg&A/C intermittently switches over to opposite of what it's set on. Turning temp. knob over & back resets it so haven't fixed since entire panel must be pulled - big $$$, I'm told

Favorite Features

Zippiness/maneuverability/handling; reliability; riding higher than a sedan without it being a gas-guzzling behemoth

Suggested Improvements

Qty/location of front cup holders, no center console, flukey htg/A/C problem. Must "pack" last three gallons when filling tank - kicks off WAY too soon, but, like the htg/A/C problem, that may just be mine, not all.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By 2nd owner

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander with 50k miles 5 years ago and have put over 80k additional miles on it. It is the most reliable car we have ever owned. It has great performance, decent fuel economy, comfortable ride and is a nice looking car as well. I would recommend it to anyone regardless of mileage. I have seen them with 300k miles and still going.

Favorite Features

smooth ride

Toyota run around
By highlander24

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 toyota highlander from toyota financial in september 2011. The highlander has 110000 miles on it and it has a lot of oil blowby near the PCV valve. I heard there was a sludge issue with these vehciles so I went to Libertyville Toyota and asked them to check it out. I told them i was adding a quart of oil every 500 miles and I said they should check the PCV area because I heard the sludge build up was in an unusual area of the engine. We removed the PCV plug and stuck a tube in the engne area and pulled out alot of sludge. dealer teck called and said NO Warrentee because the engine was clean. They did not check PCV area, they said I would need to pay $400 first.

Leased It, Gonna' Buy It
By Dan Martincic

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Because my new job came with a company car, it made sense to sell my pickup. However, this left my family without a vehicle to haul pets, outdoor gear and any large items (couch, lawn mower, etc.). My wife, bless her heart, agreed to trade in her Lexus ES 300 for a Toyota Highlander. Five years later, she still loves her Highlander. The ride, the convenience for hauling people and things and especially the great sound system (the girl loves her country music). Rather than replace the it when the lease is up, we're buying it. It runs so well and has needed only very minor repairs. This is a well designed vehicle built by Toyota. Enough said!

Favorite Features

The smooth ride for an SUV is great. And man it can hold some very big items.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior is still a little "station-wagony" looking. I don't have the answer, but I think the back end could look better.

fantastic
By brendan23

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

we have had this car for 13 years and is fantastic.

Favorite Features

it is very reliable. can put a lot of things in the back.