Used 2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Review Toyota 2001 Highlander
By rod wadman

2001 Toyota Highlander 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Has a nice style to it. Rides smoothly for an SUV. We are amazed at the performance of this four cylinder engine. When driving in the Colorado rockies, if you take it out of overdrive, it climbs as well as any larger engine.

Like sitting up higher and the ride. The performance and the features of this vehicle are excellent.

We are satisfied with the way it is now.

2001 Toyota Highlander
By larry

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 41/2 years, we love the Highlander. Mileage shows about 21 in town and 24 on the road. Stability control helps in ice and snow. Quality of materials and construction are outstanding. Overall, a real winner.

Car-like ride and comfort, perfect reliability, smooth zippy V6 engine and tranny, interior quality, good mileage

A couple of minor gripes are the location of the instrument light dimmer (you have to reach through the steering wheel to adjust them), location of the side view mirrror heating switch (blocked by the steering wheel), a small center console, shallow cupholders, and no rain gutters.

The Gentleman's SUV
By Andy

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Pros: Smooth engine, transmission, comfortable ride. Cons: Shifter intrudes on right leg room in driver's seat, tiny arm rests, came with Big O tires. Make sure you listen to the tires while you test drive. I didn't notice my tires were so loud. They were good snow tires, but I replaced them with quieter Firestone tires.

Smooth, quiet, if you want an SUV, but without the truckiness, this is as close as you'll get.

Larger and better placed cup holders, place shifter on steering column, needs a bigger and more roomy center console. Replace tiny armrests with a console like the Honda Pilot has.

Great Toyota Product
By DLB

2001 Toyota Highlander 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 4 cyl. awd Highlander new in June 01. We put 24,000 miles a year on it. It has been great. The only problem we've had is a recurring check engine light that our dealer finally determined to be caused by the catalytic converter---installed a new one in March 05 under warranty. My wife loves the high seating position. Wish we'd sprung for the leather package.

Reliability is #1! Ride is good, mileage is respectable. Overall a great car.

Daytime running lights should be standard, as on my Camry.

Still lovin it after all these years
By Nancy

2001 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I used to trade cars every two years, but not with this one. I bought the car new in 2001, the first year they were out, and I STILL love driving it. Rear seating is great when you need it, as is the cargo space. Like the others, the cup holders, well... But unlike some other reviews, I'm still on my original tires (my model had Goodyear Integrity tires) with about 1/2 of the treadwear still remaining! I keep waiting to see the Hybrid version come out later this year.

Smooth ride, great handling, good MPG for an SUV.

Cup holders