Used 2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Leased It, Gonna' Buy It
By Dan Martincic

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Because my new job came with a company car, it made sense to sell my pickup. However, this left my family without a vehicle to haul pets, outdoor gear and any large items (couch, lawn mower, etc.). My wife, bless her heart, agreed to trade in her Lexus ES 300 for a Toyota Highlander. Five years later, she still loves her Highlander. The ride, the convenience for hauling people and things and especially the great sound system (the girl loves her country music). Rather than replace the it when the lease is up, we're buying it. It runs so well and has needed only very minor repairs. This is a well designed vehicle built by Toyota. Enough said!

The smooth ride for an SUV is great. And man it can hold some very big items.

The exterior is still a little "station-wagony" looking. I don't have the answer, but I think the back end could look better.

Reliable Maintenance Free
By 2001 Toyota Highland

2001 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a very sharp looking excellent riding and so far has been very maintenance free. Just don't forget to change your oil and you're in business. Excellent visibility when driving. This is just a 4 cycl and I find that has been more than sufficient for me. Great get up and go, no one usually beats me at the red lights. Excellent gas mpg for a vehicle that looks like an suv. I have gotten as high as 30 mpg. Usually get from 24 to 27 mpg. Love It. Well I had two or three specks of paint that just seemed to pop off when I 1st got it. Had fixed and everything else excellent.

Quiet ride, Good gas mileage, Comfortable plenty of room. Back seat folds for loads of carrying space or two children or an adult could lie down while someone else drives. The abs brakes are wonderful at stopping.

Really good, solid car
By michelito

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive it everyday as my commute car, but have taken it on long trips (more than 3000 miles) and it is a great car. Have been in dirt roads and drives well. Feels almost like a car, but you are higher.

No center console. Electronic stability control.

Give an option of not having the center console - it was great on the 2001. I believe in newer models it comes with center console. Driver seat could be more confortable. More noise insulation.

Review Toyota 2001 Highlander
By rod wadman

2001 Toyota Highlander 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Has a nice style to it. Rides smoothly for an SUV. We are amazed at the performance of this four cylinder engine. When driving in the Colorado rockies, if you take it out of overdrive, it climbs as well as any larger engine.

Like sitting up higher and the ride. The performance and the features of this vehicle are excellent.

We are satisfied with the way it is now.

2001 Toyota Highlander
By larry

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 41/2 years, we love the Highlander. Mileage shows about 21 in town and 24 on the road. Stability control helps in ice and snow. Quality of materials and construction are outstanding. Overall, a real winner.

Car-like ride and comfort, perfect reliability, smooth zippy V6 engine and tranny, interior quality, good mileage

A couple of minor gripes are the location of the instrument light dimmer (you have to reach through the steering wheel to adjust them), location of the side view mirrror heating switch (blocked by the steering wheel), a small center console, shallow cupholders, and no rain gutters.