Used 2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

5 years with a Highlander
By jackgray

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In 77000 miles of chicago winters and texas summers this car has never caused me a problem. All I have spent on it is changed the tires atg 35000 and bought 4 michelin crossterrains.They are a little harder ride than the bridgestone OEM but still have about another 10K in them. I bought this the first year they were out and have never regretted it once.

Rides like a car even with the Michelins. Reliability is Toyotas market niche. I feel like I should replace the battery before next winter, even thogh its Ok!!!!

Improve the ride for the rear seat, and forget about the third seat. The V6 is thirsty (19/21mpg my experience). Add a hybrid to the 4 cylinder and we might get 30-35 mpg. Who wants to pay $40000 for a hybrid limited. Improve the flimsy armrests

AWESOME ALL AROUND!
By highaudio

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is so versatile... excellent reliability -- done nothing with it but gotten oil changes.

Back seats are extremely roomy compared to the competition

More horsepower?

Leased It, Gonna' Buy It
By Dan Martincic

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Because my new job came with a company car, it made sense to sell my pickup. However, this left my family without a vehicle to haul pets, outdoor gear and any large items (couch, lawn mower, etc.). My wife, bless her heart, agreed to trade in her Lexus ES 300 for a Toyota Highlander. Five years later, she still loves her Highlander. The ride, the convenience for hauling people and things and especially the great sound system (the girl loves her country music). Rather than replace the it when the lease is up, we're buying it. It runs so well and has needed only very minor repairs. This is a well designed vehicle built by Toyota. Enough said!

The smooth ride for an SUV is great. And man it can hold some very big items.

The exterior is still a little "station-wagony" looking. I don't have the answer, but I think the back end could look better.

Reliable Maintenance Free
By 2001 Toyota Highland

2001 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a very sharp looking excellent riding and so far has been very maintenance free. Just don't forget to change your oil and you're in business. Excellent visibility when driving. This is just a 4 cycl and I find that has been more than sufficient for me. Great get up and go, no one usually beats me at the red lights. Excellent gas mpg for a vehicle that looks like an suv. I have gotten as high as 30 mpg. Usually get from 24 to 27 mpg. Love It. Well I had two or three specks of paint that just seemed to pop off when I 1st got it. Had fixed and everything else excellent.

Quiet ride, Good gas mileage, Comfortable plenty of room. Back seat folds for loads of carrying space or two children or an adult could lie down while someone else drives. The abs brakes are wonderful at stopping.

Really good, solid car
By michelito

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive it everyday as my commute car, but have taken it on long trips (more than 3000 miles) and it is a great car. Have been in dirt roads and drives well. Feels almost like a car, but you are higher.

No center console. Electronic stability control.

Give an option of not having the center console - it was great on the 2001. I believe in newer models it comes with center console. Driver seat could be more confortable. More noise insulation.