Used 2001 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Almost 10 in TN
By tjpirtle

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2.4L 4 cyl. and I'm very pleased with its performance. The gas mileage is great city/hwy 24mpg. Handling is solid & steady. Light roll when cornering. Road noise at 80 mph was good. The interior is very good. I'm 6'2" and the room in front and rear is very good. There's very little to complain with this vehicle.

Good gas mileage, interior room, looks, high beam coverage, turning radius, visibility, and handling.

The left foot rest is high and the remote gas tank lever needs to be further out of the way.

My 3rd Toyota
By EdmondOklahoma

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned a Tercel and a Camry and both were great cars, but the Highlander is my favorite Toyota. I bought a 2001 in 2003 and have had no problems. LOVED it when I bought it and still love it 3 years later.

Plenty of power, sits high enough without being a monster, great for hauling kids and "stuff", just plain cute.

Love it, but... redesign front seat cupholders, more cushioning on leather seats, find a way to stop the "helicopter" noise when windows are open.

5yrs and 35k miles, still loving it
By goldston

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. My wife loves this year model due to the non-connected shift pod to the console layout. It's been a very reliable vehicle and we see ourselves owning our H/L for another 5yrs at least.

5 years with a Highlander
By jackgray

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In 77000 miles of chicago winters and texas summers this car has never caused me a problem. All I have spent on it is changed the tires atg 35000 and bought 4 michelin crossterrains.They are a little harder ride than the bridgestone OEM but still have about another 10K in them. I bought this the first year they were out and have never regretted it once.

Rides like a car even with the Michelins. Reliability is Toyotas market niche. I feel like I should replace the battery before next winter, even thogh its Ok!!!!

Improve the ride for the rear seat, and forget about the third seat. The V6 is thirsty (19/21mpg my experience). Add a hybrid to the 4 cylinder and we might get 30-35 mpg. Who wants to pay $40000 for a hybrid limited. Improve the flimsy armrests

AWESOME ALL AROUND!
By highaudio

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is so versatile... excellent reliability -- done nothing with it but gotten oil changes.

Back seats are extremely roomy compared to the competition

More horsepower?