Used 2001 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Love this Car!
By Christy

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used and honestly have had no problems with it. It now has 130,000 miles on it and all we have had to do is the standard maintenance. I love the roominess (I have two small children and lots of stuff to haul!) and the way it rides is outstanding. The turning radius is spectacular for an SUV, even better than my hubby's sedan. I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible.

Favorite Features

Smoothness of ride. Reliability. Turning radius. Cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of!

A Great SUV
By JG

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the Highlander the first year it was made and from my experience this is the best SUV ever built. The Highlander is designed to be a very comfortable ride as well as a great hauling vehicle. Very reliable car. I have had no problems. Excellent fit and finish. I was rear-ended by someone 2 months after purchase and hardly felt the impact - no injuries. If you are looking for a safe and fun SUV to drive for your family, the Highlander is it. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Lots of power, smooth transmission, agility, turning radius, comfortable ride. Spacious interior with plenty of elbow room. The back is designed to easily hold IKEA's large furniture boxes and move your college kids into residence halls.

Suggested Improvements

The Highlander is perfect the way it is. However, I don't know how the new 2008 models will be. I'm disappointed they are changing the design. I hope they don't ruin a great SUV.

Wonderful
By brussell889

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the best SUVs out there!! I have yet to have a problem with it, and I've almost reached the 100,000 mile mark. It still runs as if it just came off of the assembly line.

Favorite Features

Interior design!

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats should be included in the limited edition package.

91K now
By fred

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new. Smooth, powerful both around town and on highway. Handles crisply with lots of get up and go. Plenty of room front/back and cargo. No mechanical problems at all except the VSC light sometimes comes on for a while and then just as mysteriously goes off. Had it in snow twice, and it zipped along while everyone else was in the ditch. I change oil/fluids myself, but get the "big services" (30/60/90k) done at dealer. Replaced tires at 45K, front brakes at 55K, and battery at 90K (at 5 years). I would definitely buy one again - maybe the hybrid.

Favorite Features

Reliability, low maintenance, handling. Comfortable front seats, and back seats are tall. Very smooth cruise control. Good positioning of wiper, cruise, light switches.

Suggested Improvements

Manual passenger seat was a disappointment. Needs a center console. Gas mileage is only average (17/22). Could use 3rd row seating. A visual blind spot behind driver's left.

Toyota
By Lynn

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this used at 94000 miles, one owner, claiming to have no problems. Since 8/06 I have had to replace 4 tires, have it aligned, replace front brakes (would not pass inspection), need to replace rear brakes; check engine light on - had emission sensor replaced (expensive) and now check engine light on again. Cup holder has broken - very bad spot and poorly designed/made. I downgraded from 2004 Tahoe to this due to other circumstances than gas mileage; have had hard time finding replacement wiper blades for front/back; windshield leaks around rubber seal; lack of inside compartments; cig lighter jumps out of "pocket" if you try and use it; not real pleased with this.

Favorite Features

None so far

Suggested Improvements

Change place of cupholders/make more durable; make it easier to find replacment parts; this is made much cheaper than I expected.