2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Fun and comfort to drive
By KC Tsang on 12/04/04 21:39 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Driving the Highlander feels like driving a car, not a hulking SUV. Just fun to drive!

Great Car
By Lila on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this car for over three years now and have been extremely happy with it. The back seat is roomier than most larger cars and we have been amazed at how much we can haul inside (furniture, skis, bikes ). The Highlander handles somewhat like a car, drives well in ice and snow, accelerates quickly and is small enough to park just about anywhere. Very dependable - highly recommend it.

Sitting High
By hondahappy on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had driven Accords since '85, but was tired of being the lowest riding thing on the road! Tried many SUV's but like the handling of the Highlander better than most and now I can see over bridge railings, etc. Avgs. about 22mpg w/2WD V6. Wish that were a little better with recent gas prices, but haven't ever checked it on just highway driving. Bought a used 2001 w/27,000 miles about 6 months ago and except for the aforementioned goofy cup holders and lack of console, I love it. I'm not a small driver, and it is more comfortable than most any vehicle I've driven. Plenty of room in the back seat even with my drivers seat all the way back.

What I wish I would have known
By MIrebel on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned our Vintage Gold Highlander for 3 years now and am very satisfied overall. But the Highlander has a couple of quirks that a potential buyer should beware: 1) Excessive wind noise. You can not drive over 30 miles an hour with the windows open because of the extreme howling and pressure to your ear drums. It's unbelieveable! Also the car will "moan" sitting still in the driveway when the wind blows hard enough across it. 2) No drip edge above the doors so everytime you open the door (if its raining or snowing) you get a wet seat. 3) The cup holder design is less than convenient. Buy a after market console for storage and cup holders.

Hightlander
By Alena on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just note, love the vehicle!

Problems Galore
By mbaker1277 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Highlander in 2001 after seriously considering other vehicles. For the first year it was great. Now I have had major problems with the quality of the vehicle. I have had to totally replace the air conditioner, totally replace the heater, and have the rear leather seat repaired as it came loose from the seat. Alot of the moldings have separated and come loose around the seats. There is also a very loud rattle in the front of the car. I don't expect this many problems with a $30,000 car with only 23,000 miles on it. I am seriosly considering selling it.

Solid, reliable, safe and efficient
By mdb on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I have been so pleased with her 1999 Landcruiser, we decided to buy a used Highlander for my commute and airport car. I bought my 2001 Highlander used in September 2003 and I have been very pleased. It is rock solid, runs great, no rattles, no squeaks and I average 22 MPG. I really like the high driving position and great gas milage, a rare combo in the SUV world. Mine has the 4 cylinder which has more umph then I expected. Finally, it is great on weekends for errands and hauling the kids to their events, meetings etc. Great vehicle!

Great family SUV
By TCDKJ on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been problem free since day one. It has been evrything that we expected from a Toyota and then some.

M3M
By Michael Mellon on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Towing capabilities with a carlike ride. Stylish SUV. Not an overgrown gas hog like the large SUV. Just right.

Best Car I have ever owned!!
By Liz in MD on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle after owning 2 previous Toyotas that I was very pleased with. This is my favorite Toyota YET!! I am constantly told what a comfortable vehicle the Highlander is by all of my passengers. I recently added a baby to the family and the carseat works so well. Other friends are always complaining about how difficult it is to get their carseat in correctly and how the front seat has no room once the babyseat is installed. I have NONE of these problems with the Highlander. I bought this car from Jerry's Toyota in Maryland and the dealership was so great to do business with.