Used 2001 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Best car I have ever owned
By gigmom

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Highlander with 67,000 miles on it.. It just turned 216,000 miles. Minor repairs like brakes, O2 sensor, but this car is a BEAST in the snow! I live on a mountain top in New England and it goes through a foot and a half of snow on a dirt road climbing a hill like its nothing!! The original Toyota battery lasted for 169,000 miles. The car rocks! I will drive it until it sighs its last breath then buy another.

Favorite Features

All Wheel drive, heated seats, turning radius

Suggested Improvements

Slightly deeper (length) front seat.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By 2nd owner

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander with 50k miles 5 years ago and have put over 80k additional miles on it. It is the most reliable car we have ever owned. It has great performance, decent fuel economy, comfortable ride and is a nice looking car as well. I would recommend it to anyone regardless of mileage. I have seen them with 300k miles and still going.

Favorite Features

smooth ride

Keeps on Going, No troubles
By FreeDeez

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Buying a first year production SUV scared me a bit and I questioned my decision making process. Boy, was I wrong! Over the last 9+ year our Highlander has never failed or given me any reason to curse the brand. Outside of regular maintenance, out highlander has stood the test of time. I will say that tires wear out faster, due to AWD, but outside of that and the pathetically weak front cup holders I am glad with my decision. If you do a lot of highway driving this car is a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

60 40 rear seat split adjustable Cross bars on roof rack reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders Better carpet anchors motor adjusted front passenger seat

Highlander is a very good SUV
By hammon44

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Highlander Limited for almost 8 years and have put on about 90,000 miles. Purchased it at 33,000 miles. The SUV has been very good. It has been perfect for everything I've done in the last eight years including multiple cross country road trips and hauling stuff from the home depot. Even the roof rack have been very helpful. In 2002 the Limited edition had more features than I need from a car. Leather has held up very well. Very comfortable ride. Only one major repair needed. The SUV's computer failed three years ago. Cost over $1500 to get it replaced. Have had 4 sets of tires which is excessive but could be due to buying lower tier tires for the first 3 sets.

Favorite Features

Limited package was well worth the extra cost. Very comfortable ride even at 80 mph. CD Changer and sound system have been great. MPG is better than other comparable SUVs (average 20 MPG overall). Rear seats fold down nicely to create a lot of room for hauling. Very powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Small rust spots have developed near the grill and front of the hood. The paint/body could be improved in that area to prevent this rust since it is an area that is subjected to a lot of road debris.

Best Car Ever!
By Wood

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the HL used with 90k miles on it. I have had it for 3 years now and it is by far the best car I've owned. It now has about 140,000 miles on it and still runs like new. I LOVE it! We just recently bought a 2008 HL because we loved it so much.

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

Seat can be a little uncomfortable at times.