Used 2001 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

2001 Highlander Limited
By quon_b

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2006 with about 75,000 miles on it, and added 69,000 miles of my own. Initially I was in love with it but that soon faded away very quickly, because in addition to my routine maintenance At least twice a year I had to make major repairs on it such as replacing the rotors, steering column, air conditioning panel, suspension etc...The mpg states that its 19/25 but thats far from the truth because I usually averaged 16 mpg regardless of street or highway mileage, and when exceeding about 50 mph there was an annoying whistling sound that leads you to believe your windows are open when they're not. At my wits end and ready to purchasde another vehicle

Exterior design needs revisement because the increased noise of air flow when traveling on the highway is extremely annoying. Cupholders on the passenger side sre extremely frail and was unable to stand the test of time

Speechless
By jfahlmann

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2001 Limited Edition Highlander with 45 thousand miles from a good friend. After a month I heard a noise and checked the oil which was empty. Now I fill it once per week. I was told it was either a cheap part or the rings in the motor. I am getting a second opinion but am heartbroken. I cannot afford the loan plus getting a brand new motor. I really do love the vehicle but not with this price.

Appearance, comfort, leather heated seats, sunroof, color, and space for my dogs.

Have your regular mechanic go over the entire car before you buy a used vehicle even if from a reliable person.

Best car I have ever owned
By gigmom

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Highlander with 67,000 miles on it.. It just turned 216,000 miles. Minor repairs like brakes, O2 sensor, but this car is a BEAST in the snow! I live on a mountain top in New England and it goes through a foot and a half of snow on a dirt road climbing a hill like its nothing!! The original Toyota battery lasted for 169,000 miles. The car rocks! I will drive it until it sighs its last breath then buy another.

All Wheel drive, heated seats, turning radius

Slightly deeper (length) front seat.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By 2nd owner

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander with 50k miles 5 years ago and have put over 80k additional miles on it. It is the most reliable car we have ever owned. It has great performance, decent fuel economy, comfortable ride and is a nice looking car as well. I would recommend it to anyone regardless of mileage. I have seen them with 300k miles and still going.

smooth ride

Keeps on Going, No troubles
By FreeDeez

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Buying a first year production SUV scared me a bit and I questioned my decision making process. Boy, was I wrong! Over the last 9+ year our Highlander has never failed or given me any reason to curse the brand. Outside of regular maintenance, out highlander has stood the test of time. I will say that tires wear out faster, due to AWD, but outside of that and the pathetically weak front cup holders I am glad with my decision. If you do a lot of highway driving this car is a pleasure to drive.

60 40 rear seat split adjustable Cross bars on roof rack reliability

Better cup holders Better carpet anchors motor adjusted front passenger seat