Used 2001 Toyota Highlander Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

ELITEST
By hot12dog

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2001 highlander is the best car i have ever owned and i have bought cars for almost 60 years. As far as the engine light is concerned forget about it it, can not be fixed all you are doing is throwing money away. After wasting about $500 i realized that it's a factory mistake that Toyota will not fix for that i may not buy a Toyota next time.

Favorite Features

It's durability

Suggested Improvements

Next time Toyota you make a factory mistake stand up to it

Toyota
By Lynn

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this used at 94000 miles, one owner, claiming to have no problems. Since 8/06 I have had to replace 4 tires, have it aligned, replace front brakes (would not pass inspection), need to replace rear brakes; check engine light on - had emission sensor replaced (expensive) and now check engine light on again. Cup holder has broken - very bad spot and poorly designed/made. I downgraded from 2004 Tahoe to this due to other circumstances than gas mileage; have had hard time finding replacement wiper blades for front/back; windshield leaks around rubber seal; lack of inside compartments; cig lighter jumps out of "pocket" if you try and use it; not real pleased with this.

Favorite Features

None so far

Suggested Improvements

Change place of cupholders/make more durable; make it easier to find replacment parts; this is made much cheaper than I expected.

Almost 10 in TN
By tjpirtle

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2.4L 4 cyl. and I'm very pleased with its performance. The gas mileage is great city/hwy 24mpg. Handling is solid & steady. Light roll when cornering. Road noise at 80 mph was good. The interior is very good. I'm 6'2" and the room in front and rear is very good. There's very little to complain with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, interior room, looks, high beam coverage, turning radius, visibility, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

The left foot rest is high and the remote gas tank lever needs to be further out of the way.

Reliable Maintenance Free
By 2001 Toyota Highland

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a very sharp looking excellent riding and so far has been very maintenance free. Just don't forget to change your oil and you're in business. Excellent visibility when driving. This is just a 4 cycl and I find that has been more than sufficient for me. Great get up and go, no one usually beats me at the red lights. Excellent gas mpg for a vehicle that looks like an suv. I have gotten as high as 30 mpg. Usually get from 24 to 27 mpg. Love It. Well I had two or three specks of paint that just seemed to pop off when I 1st got it. Had fixed and everything else excellent.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, Good gas mileage, Comfortable plenty of room. Back seat folds for loads of carrying space or two children or an adult could lie down while someone else drives. The abs brakes are wonderful at stopping.

Still lovin it after all these years
By Nancy

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I used to trade cars every two years, but not with this one. I bought the car new in 2001, the first year they were out, and I STILL love driving it. Rear seating is great when you need it, as is the cargo space. Like the others, the cup holders, well... But unlike some other reviews, I'm still on my original tires (my model had Goodyear Integrity tires) with about 1/2 of the treadwear still remaining! I keep waiting to see the Hybrid version come out later this year.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, great handling, good MPG for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders