2001 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
ELITEST
By hot12dog on 03/24/13 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2001 highlander is the best car i have ever owned and i have bought cars for almost 60 years. As far as the engine light is concerned forget about it it, can not be fixed all you are doing is throwing money away. After wasting about $500 i realized that it's a factory mistake that Toyota will not fix for that i may not buy a Toyota next time.

Toyota
By Lynn on 10/20/06 09:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this used at 94000 miles, one owner, claiming to have no problems. Since 8/06 I have had to replace 4 tires, have it aligned, replace front brakes (would not pass inspection), need to replace rear brakes; check engine light on - had emission sensor replaced (expensive) and now check engine light on again. Cup holder has broken - very bad spot and poorly designed/made. I downgraded from 2004 Tahoe to this due to other circumstances than gas mileage; have had hard time finding replacement wiper blades for front/back; windshield leaks around rubber seal; lack of inside compartments; cig lighter jumps out of "pocket" if you try and use it; not real pleased with this.

Almost 10 in TN
By tjpirtle on 09/28/06 22:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2.4L 4 cyl. and I'm very pleased with its performance. The gas mileage is great city/hwy 24mpg. Handling is solid & steady. Light roll when cornering. Road noise at 80 mph was good. The interior is very good. I'm 6'2" and the room in front and rear is very good. There's very little to complain with this vehicle.

Reliable Maintenance Free
By 2001 Toyota Highland on 02/08/06 00:14 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a very sharp looking excellent riding and so far has been very maintenance free. Just don't forget to change your oil and you're in business. Excellent visibility when driving. This is just a 4 cycl and I find that has been more than sufficient for me. Great get up and go, no one usually beats me at the red lights. Excellent gas mpg for a vehicle that looks like an suv. I have gotten as high as 30 mpg. Usually get from 24 to 27 mpg. Love It. Well I had two or three specks of paint that just seemed to pop off when I 1st got it. Had fixed and everything else excellent.

Still lovin it after all these years
By Nancy on 01/30/05 18:04 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I used to trade cars every two years, but not with this one. I bought the car new in 2001, the first year they were out, and I STILL love driving it. Rear seating is great when you need it, as is the cargo space. Like the others, the cup holders, well... But unlike some other reviews, I'm still on my original tires (my model had Goodyear Integrity tires) with about 1/2 of the treadwear still remaining! I keep waiting to see the Hybrid version come out later this year.

JR review
By jr on 01/06/05 18:46 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great car for traveling in the flats and slight hills. I recommend this Toyota highly.

Solid, reliable, safe and efficient
By mdb on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I have been so pleased with her 1999 Landcruiser, we decided to buy a used Highlander for my commute and airport car. I bought my 2001 Highlander used in September 2003 and I have been very pleased. It is rock solid, runs great, no rattles, no squeaks and I average 22 MPG. I really like the high driving position and great gas milage, a rare combo in the SUV world. Mine has the 4 cylinder which has more umph then I expected. Finally, it is great on weekends for errands and hauling the kids to their events, meetings etc. Great vehicle!

MY CAR
By MRPAT on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

VERY NICE, HOPE TO GET A NEW ONE

RIDES LIKE A CAR, LOOKS LIKE AN SUV
By LBSmith on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It took me almost a year to chose this car, and for the most part, I couldn't be much happier. I am a little disappointed in the 4cyl gas mileage, but the convenience and looks of everything else makes up for it. I have had my Highlander for 2 years now and have never ahd a single warranty repair done on it. My only regret is that I did not splurge for the Limited package.

Nice car poor audio
By fremont on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was actually looking for a nice station wagon when I bought my highlander. I am very happy that I made the right decision. It cost almost same as the VW Jetta station wagon. I got a much better car: bigger space, comfortable ride, excellent performance, good gas mileage, very reliable. Also, don't forget that it is a SUV, the hottest thing on the road.