Used 2001 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

fantastic
By brendan23

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

we have had this car for 13 years and is fantastic.

it is very reliable. can put a lot of things in the back.

ELITEST
By hot12dog

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2001 highlander is the best car i have ever owned and i have bought cars for almost 60 years. As far as the engine light is concerned forget about it it, can not be fixed all you are doing is throwing money away. After wasting about $500 i realized that it's a factory mistake that Toyota will not fix for that i may not buy a Toyota next time.

It's durability

Next time Toyota you make a factory mistake stand up to it

Toyota run around
By highlander24

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 toyota highlander from toyota financial in september 2011. The highlander has 110000 miles on it and it has a lot of oil blowby near the PCV valve. I heard there was a sludge issue with these vehciles so I went to Libertyville Toyota and asked them to check it out. I told them i was adding a quart of oil every 500 miles and I said they should check the PCV area because I heard the sludge build up was in an unusual area of the engine. We removed the PCV plug and stuck a tube in the engne area and pulled out alot of sludge. dealer teck called and said NO Warrentee because the engine was clean. They did not check PCV area, they said I would need to pay $400 first.

2001 Highlander Limited
By quon_b

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2006 with about 75,000 miles on it, and added 69,000 miles of my own. Initially I was in love with it but that soon faded away very quickly, because in addition to my routine maintenance At least twice a year I had to make major repairs on it such as replacing the rotors, steering column, air conditioning panel, suspension etc...The mpg states that its 19/25 but thats far from the truth because I usually averaged 16 mpg regardless of street or highway mileage, and when exceeding about 50 mph there was an annoying whistling sound that leads you to believe your windows are open when they're not. At my wits end and ready to purchasde another vehicle

Exterior design needs revisement because the increased noise of air flow when traveling on the highway is extremely annoying. Cupholders on the passenger side sre extremely frail and was unable to stand the test of time

Speechless
By jfahlmann

2001 Toyota Highlander SUV V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2001 Limited Edition Highlander with 45 thousand miles from a good friend. After a month I heard a noise and checked the oil which was empty. Now I fill it once per week. I was told it was either a cheap part or the rings in the motor. I am getting a second opinion but am heartbroken. I cannot afford the loan plus getting a brand new motor. I really do love the vehicle but not with this price.

Appearance, comfort, leather heated seats, sunroof, color, and space for my dogs.

Have your regular mechanic go over the entire car before you buy a used vehicle even if from a reliable person.