2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Speechless
By jfahlmann on 12/14/10 09:45 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2001 Limited Edition Highlander with 45 thousand miles from a good friend. After a month I heard a noise and checked the oil which was empty. Now I fill it once per week. I was told it was either a cheap part or the rings in the motor. I am getting a second opinion but am heartbroken. I cannot afford the loan plus getting a brand new motor. I really do love the vehicle but not with this price.

Highlander is a very good SUV
By hammon44 on 05/22/10 05:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Highlander Limited for almost 8 years and have put on about 90,000 miles. Purchased it at 33,000 miles. The SUV has been very good. It has been perfect for everything I've done in the last eight years including multiple cross country road trips and hauling stuff from the home depot. Even the roof rack have been very helpful. In 2002 the Limited edition had more features than I need from a car. Leather has held up very well. Very comfortable ride. Only one major repair needed. The SUV's computer failed three years ago. Cost over $1500 to get it replaced. Have had 4 sets of tires which is excessive but could be due to buying lower tier tires for the first 3 sets.

Best Car Ever!
By Wood on 05/13/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the HL used with 90k miles on it. I have had it for 3 years now and it is by far the best car I've owned. It now has about 140,000 miles on it and still runs like new. I LOVE it! We just recently bought a 2008 HL because we loved it so much.

120K and going strong
By Anne on 06/20/08 12:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used 12/03 w/27K miles; now just over 120,000, & though overdue a major check-up & first tune-up, I've had few problems. Mileage still avgs. 20-21 mpg & might improve a bit once tuned. Except for routine maint., have only had to replace some sort of emissions sensor. Ck engine light came on a few times at first, but once I realized it was always right after oil change, & they weren't reconnecting an air hose properly after ckg the air filter, I always warn them about it, & it hasn't happened since. Htg&A/C intermittently switches over to opposite of what it's set on. Turning temp. knob over & back resets it so haven't fixed since entire panel must be pulled - big $$$, I'm told

2001 Toyota Highlander
By Don on 12/05/07 22:09 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After all the bad experiences with a Chevy, an Olds, and 2 Fords, I risked buying this the first year they were offered. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Drives well, good with my bad back, and reliable. No repairs, only scheduled maintenance. Drawbacks: burns lots of oil (2 qts on a 250 mile hwy trip), and the front seat support broke on one side. (I skipped the $800 to replace it by putting a box of paper underneath to prop it up.)

Wonderful
By brussell889 on 06/10/07 00:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the best SUVs out there!! I have yet to have a problem with it, and I've almost reached the 100,000 mile mark. It still runs as if it just came off of the assembly line.

My 3rd Toyota
By EdmondOklahoma on 07/04/06 20:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned a Tercel and a Camry and both were great cars, but the Highlander is my favorite Toyota. I bought a 2001 in 2003 and have had no problems. LOVED it when I bought it and still love it 3 years later.

5yrs and 35k miles, still loving it
By goldston on 05/21/06 10:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. My wife loves this year model due to the non-connected shift pod to the console layout. It's been a very reliable vehicle and we see ourselves owning our H/L for another 5yrs at least.

Love It
By Tom Crowley on 12/12/04 22:39 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a 1994 Lincoln Town Car on the Highlander. A very good decision. My first impression was the short turn ratio. My second, was that the V6 is the size engine that handles this weight vehicle better than the 4- cylinder. Finally, it rides like a passenger vehicle...most of my passengers make that comment. Rides five comfortably. My understanding is that it rides on the Camry chassis.

Fun and comfort to drive
By KC Tsang on 12/04/04 21:39 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Driving the Highlander feels like driving a car, not a hulking SUV. Just fun to drive!