Used 2001 Toyota Highlander V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

fantastic
By brendan23

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

we have had this car for 13 years and is fantastic.

Favorite Features

it is very reliable. can put a lot of things in the back.

Speechless
By jfahlmann

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2001 Limited Edition Highlander with 45 thousand miles from a good friend. After a month I heard a noise and checked the oil which was empty. Now I fill it once per week. I was told it was either a cheap part or the rings in the motor. I am getting a second opinion but am heartbroken. I cannot afford the loan plus getting a brand new motor. I really do love the vehicle but not with this price.

Favorite Features

Appearance, comfort, leather heated seats, sunroof, color, and space for my dogs.

Suggested Improvements

Have your regular mechanic go over the entire car before you buy a used vehicle even if from a reliable person.

Highlander is a very good SUV
By hammon44

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Highlander Limited for almost 8 years and have put on about 90,000 miles. Purchased it at 33,000 miles. The SUV has been very good. It has been perfect for everything I've done in the last eight years including multiple cross country road trips and hauling stuff from the home depot. Even the roof rack have been very helpful. In 2002 the Limited edition had more features than I need from a car. Leather has held up very well. Very comfortable ride. Only one major repair needed. The SUV's computer failed three years ago. Cost over $1500 to get it replaced. Have had 4 sets of tires which is excessive but could be due to buying lower tier tires for the first 3 sets.

Favorite Features

Limited package was well worth the extra cost. Very comfortable ride even at 80 mph. CD Changer and sound system have been great. MPG is better than other comparable SUVs (average 20 MPG overall). Rear seats fold down nicely to create a lot of room for hauling. Very powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Small rust spots have developed near the grill and front of the hood. The paint/body could be improved in that area to prevent this rust since it is an area that is subjected to a lot of road debris.

Best Car Ever!
By Wood

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the HL used with 90k miles on it. I have had it for 3 years now and it is by far the best car I've owned. It now has about 140,000 miles on it and still runs like new. I LOVE it! We just recently bought a 2008 HL because we loved it so much.

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

Seat can be a little uncomfortable at times.

120K and going strong
By Anne

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used 12/03 w/27K miles; now just over 120,000, & though overdue a major check-up & first tune-up, I've had few problems. Mileage still avgs. 20-21 mpg & might improve a bit once tuned. Except for routine maint., have only had to replace some sort of emissions sensor. Ck engine light came on a few times at first, but once I realized it was always right after oil change, & they weren't reconnecting an air hose properly after ckg the air filter, I always warn them about it, & it hasn't happened since. Htg&A/C intermittently switches over to opposite of what it's set on. Turning temp. knob over & back resets it so haven't fixed since entire panel must be pulled - big $$$, I'm told

Favorite Features

Zippiness/maneuverability/handling; reliability; riding higher than a sedan without it being a gas-guzzling behemoth

Suggested Improvements

Qty/location of front cup holders, no center console, flukey htg/A/C problem. Must "pack" last three gallons when filling tank - kicks off WAY too soon, but, like the htg/A/C problem, that may just be mine, not all.