Used 2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Love the Car, but prepare for Repairs
By Tony

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in 2010, came with 116,000 miles. I now have put 62,500 miles on the car and now at 178,500. I love the car and I am a second owner.

Pros
It is very spacious, not too big for an SUV but I've been able to pack quite a number of things in the car. The engine is still pretty strong. I've driven it far distance multiple times and haven't had major issues.

Cons
As much as I love the car, I'll admit that the cost of repairs and the type of repairs have gotten me. Grant it, I've had to pay quite the number on getting it repaired, I would say most of it was basically 'wear and tear' I am the 2nd owner and most of the original parts lasted well over 110,000 miles so I've been footing the bill. My a/c went out withing 6 months, had to pay $1,200 to repair. Most recently my altenator went bad, along with this other issue (can't remember) but combined that cost me $1,200 and now I'm paying $1,700 to have my 02 sensors (somethign i've read in reviews that go bad (denso brand)), valve cover gaskets, AND fuel injector replaced. On average i've speant maybe $2,000 or so a year on repairs. And I've also had to have my tired changed twice.

Conclusion
With 178,500 miles on the car and it being 2001, it's probably time i get a new car but I've alreay put so much money in it and have quite the number of new parts in it, but i just don't want to pay monthly for a new car. I will eventually. Godd car and reliable but maybe not worth all the repairs. Most of the cost for repairs they charge high for labor. Always get a carfax or somethign so you're not stuck having to repair alot of parts for a high mileage car

fantastic
By brendan23

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

we have had this car for 13 years and is fantastic.

it is very reliable. can put a lot of things in the back.

ELITEST
By hot12dog

2001 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2001 highlander is the best car i have ever owned and i have bought cars for almost 60 years. As far as the engine light is concerned forget about it it, can not be fixed all you are doing is throwing money away. After wasting about $500 i realized that it's a factory mistake that Toyota will not fix for that i may not buy a Toyota next time.

It's durability

Next time Toyota you make a factory mistake stand up to it

Toyota run around
By highlander24

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 toyota highlander from toyota financial in september 2011. The highlander has 110000 miles on it and it has a lot of oil blowby near the PCV valve. I heard there was a sludge issue with these vehciles so I went to Libertyville Toyota and asked them to check it out. I told them i was adding a quart of oil every 500 miles and I said they should check the PCV area because I heard the sludge build up was in an unusual area of the engine. We removed the PCV plug and stuck a tube in the engne area and pulled out alot of sludge.

dealer teck called and said NO Warrentee because the engine was clean. They did not check PCV area, they said I would need to pay $400 first.

2001 Highlander Limited
By quon_b

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2006 with about 75,000 miles on it, and added 69,000 miles of my own. Initially I was in love with it but that soon faded away very quickly, because in addition to my routine maintenance At least twice a year I had to make major repairs on it such as replacing the rotors, steering column, air conditioning panel, suspension etc...The mpg states that its 19/25 but thats far from the truth because I usually averaged 16 mpg regardless of street or highway mileage, and when exceeding about 50 mph there was an annoying whistling sound that leads you to believe your windows are open when they're not. At my wits end and ready to purchasde another vehicle

Exterior design needs revisement because the increased noise of air flow when traveling on the highway is extremely annoying. Cupholders on the passenger side sre extremely frail and was unable to stand the test of time