2001 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
ELITEST
By hot12dog on 03/24/13 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2001 highlander is the best car i have ever owned and i have bought cars for almost 60 years. As far as the engine light is concerned forget about it it, can not be fixed all you are doing is throwing money away. After wasting about $500 i realized that it's a factory mistake that Toyota will not fix for that i may not buy a Toyota next time.

Toyota run around
By highlander24 on 11/25/11 18:05 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 toyota highlander from toyota financial in september 2011. The highlander has 110000 miles on it and it has a lot of oil blowby near the PCV valve. I heard there was a sludge issue with these vehciles so I went to Libertyville Toyota and asked them to check it out. I told them i was adding a quart of oil every 500 miles and I said they should check the PCV area because I heard the sludge build up was in an unusual area of the engine. We removed the PCV plug and stuck a tube in the engne area and pulled out alot of sludge. dealer teck called and said NO Warrentee because the engine was clean. They did not check PCV area, they said I would need to pay $400 first.

2001 Highlander Limited
By quon_b on 10/12/11 16:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2006 with about 75,000 miles on it, and added 69,000 miles of my own. Initially I was in love with it but that soon faded away very quickly, because in addition to my routine maintenance At least twice a year I had to make major repairs on it such as replacing the rotors, steering column, air conditioning panel, suspension etc...The mpg states that its 19/25 but thats far from the truth because I usually averaged 16 mpg regardless of street or highway mileage, and when exceeding about 50 mph there was an annoying whistling sound that leads you to believe your windows are open when they're not. At my wits end and ready to purchasde another vehicle

Speechless
By jfahlmann on 12/14/10 09:45 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2001 Limited Edition Highlander with 45 thousand miles from a good friend. After a month I heard a noise and checked the oil which was empty. Now I fill it once per week. I was told it was either a cheap part or the rings in the motor. I am getting a second opinion but am heartbroken. I cannot afford the loan plus getting a brand new motor. I really do love the vehicle but not with this price.

Best car I have ever owned
By gigmom on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Highlander with 67,000 miles on it.. It just turned 216,000 miles. Minor repairs like brakes, O2 sensor, but this car is a BEAST in the snow! I live on a mountain top in New England and it goes through a foot and a half of snow on a dirt road climbing a hill like its nothing!! The original Toyota battery lasted for 169,000 miles. The car rocks! I will drive it until it sighs its last breath then buy another.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By 2nd owner on 08/22/10 08:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Highlander with 50k miles 5 years ago and have put over 80k additional miles on it. It is the most reliable car we have ever owned. It has great performance, decent fuel economy, comfortable ride and is a nice looking car as well. I would recommend it to anyone regardless of mileage. I have seen them with 300k miles and still going.

Keeps on Going, No troubles
By FreeDeez on 06/14/10 11:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Buying a first year production SUV scared me a bit and I questioned my decision making process. Boy, was I wrong! Over the last 9+ year our Highlander has never failed or given me any reason to curse the brand. Outside of regular maintenance, out highlander has stood the test of time. I will say that tires wear out faster, due to AWD, but outside of that and the pathetically weak front cup holders I am glad with my decision. If you do a lot of highway driving this car is a pleasure to drive.

Highlander is a very good SUV
By hammon44 on 05/22/10 05:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Highlander Limited for almost 8 years and have put on about 90,000 miles. Purchased it at 33,000 miles. The SUV has been very good. It has been perfect for everything I've done in the last eight years including multiple cross country road trips and hauling stuff from the home depot. Even the roof rack have been very helpful. In 2002 the Limited edition had more features than I need from a car. Leather has held up very well. Very comfortable ride. Only one major repair needed. The SUV's computer failed three years ago. Cost over $1500 to get it replaced. Have had 4 sets of tires which is excessive but could be due to buying lower tier tires for the first 3 sets.

Best Car Ever!
By Wood on 05/13/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the HL used with 90k miles on it. I have had it for 3 years now and it is by far the best car I've owned. It now has about 140,000 miles on it and still runs like new. I LOVE it! We just recently bought a 2008 HL because we loved it so much.

2001 Highlander
By Bud on 02/25/10 03:38 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very solid vehicle. Good fuel economy. Pulls a trailer well. Comfortable front seats and very roomy back seats - great for family trips. Adequate power. Center console design is not very good. Overall a well built family SUV. Oxygen sensor replacement is the only unscheduled maintenance I have had to do.