Used 2013 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Great Car, Poor Hybrid Display and Audio Manual
By davechem

2013 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this 2013 Highlander Limited for about 6 weeks and really enjoy it. It has been cold (25-35F) so it takes 3-5 miles of driving to get close to the 28 mpg--but this is acceptable. Handling, smoothness, all features work well together. Very comfortable with nice upright seat position. My only disappointment is that the upgraded JBL audio system does not allow display of any of the hybrid operations or MPG records on the large screen, but only a small display on a small screen. The 2013 owners manual claims to have these great displays--that include minute to minute graphs of MPG. A call to Toyota confirmed the lack of display features and the need to update the manual.

Crazy about it!
By quipepeo

I am averaging 30.2 mpg and just as surprised with the performance of this Hybrid. I spend a lot of time researching six- and seven-passenger SUV's to drive 26,000+ miles per year. I am convinced I made the right choice. The car offers the perfect balance of power/fuel economy, space/size and luxury/utility. The interior of this Limited version is very attractive without seeming opulent or grandiose. I love the car for its comfort and handling but most importantly for the confidence it seems to inspire while driving. It's a sense of feeling at peace.

Favorite Features

My most favorite feature will remain the quietness of the car, whether below 30 or well above 65. I am able to be place and take call on loud speaker without my clients ever noticing that I am driving. My second favorite is the smartphone integration that allows me to interact with the main features of my iPhone without interfering with my driving. I use voice commands for dialing just about any contact in my address book. Voice commands are further integrated with the GPS, allowing to program a route, find a point of interest, etc.

Suggested Improvements

I was a bit disappointed that the GPS maps were not as up-to-date for someone as new to the area as I am. I am not sure whether this is a Toyota issue or one of it's partners', but releasing a car with a two-year old map was not what I expected of the company.